Sign in to follow this  
bromvw

An idea for a homemade spray booth

While helping my Brother in Law to fit his new kitchen an idea came to me . I was working on the stove extractor hood and thought - hang on a minute this is almost exactly the same as on a full size spray booth !

i already have a rough and ready PVC tent like booth that i've fitted an old hover to, to extract the fumes but i think that over the rest of the winter i'll improve the design . i can buy an extractor fairly cheaply as we have the Indesit factory right here in Peterborough who sell seconds at good discounts . Insulated plywood box with a sliding door and Reptile tank heating setup should do the trick too.

Any thought on how to improve the design further before i set cutting ??///

Anyone know if Hepa filter material is available cut to size ? I've look at all the obvious places but cant find anyone who supplies it

An important safety tip is to make sure that your kitchen extractor has the motor outside the airflow, so you don't get sparks from the commutator igniting paint solvent vapour. (I would have thought that would be normal for an extractor, since it's dealing with airborne grease, but I'd still check.)

[edit] Found a filter material supplier: http://www.addfiltration.co.uk/paint-stop-dry-glass-filter-media-50mm-deep-1m-x-20m-roll

I have a Benchvent spray booth for my modelmaking and it has I think two-layer filters on the "spray face" - one is the "paint stop" type with woolly fibreglass, and behind that is a thin layer of something which is supposed to catch the slower-drying paints like acrylics.

Will

Cheers Will . Thats something i had't considered so i will certainly check - don't want to burn my shed down lol. Many thanks for the link too . Looks to be exactly who i need to contact and see if i can buy off cuts - ohhhhhhhh i'am cheap .

Wish I had pics of mine... but what I did was buy a small plastic greenhouse thing from B&Q for £15 and I glue gunned in two 120mm USB powered PC fans. I then taped some green scouring pads into some ducting and tapped that to the fans... it worked pretty good and was storable as I could just fold it away... Granted first time I used it I had the fans the wrong way and blew paint dust in my face... :)

http://themicrogardener.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Foldup-greenhouse.jpg

The link is not quite the same as what I had but it's close...

K

• Like 1

Wish I had pics of mine... but what I did was buy a small plastic greenhouse thing from B&Q for £15 and I glue gunned in two 120mm USB powered PC fans. I then taped some green scouring pads into some ducting and tapped that to the fans... it worked pretty good and was storable as I could just fold it away... Granted first time I used it I had the fans the wrong way and blew paint dust in my face... :)

http://themicrogardener.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Foldup-greenhouse.jpg

The link is not quite the same as what I had but it's close...

K

i have something similar but MK 2 will be a bit more well designed lol