Each time a new competition starts there is usually a discussion or two regarding the choice of theme. I'd like to use this thread for everyones ideas for future competitions. This way, next time I get asked by Chris for a theme, I can just pick my favorite from this thread. :rolleyes:

How about:-

'There's only one in the world'

A car/truck that is completely original/different and truly one of a kind.

Neil

R/C car with landmark. I know its been done before, a long time ago though and many members have joined since. I have mentioned this before and was shown the last competition and it had many fine entrants but there is still so much scope. I think i mentioned places like the pyramids and the eiffel tower, would love to see some great shots of r/c's with some really world famous landmarks. I'll shut up now anyway, just an (old) idea :rolleyes:

How about a Picture of an Rc with a Famous Person in shot?

No photoshop allowed.

Leicester Square and the red carpet spring to mind!

followed by police cell and criminal record.

Could be fun trying.

No photoshop allowed.

Could be fun trying.

Now this I like!!

No photoshop allowed.

Could be fun trying.

I wish you'd suggested that last week, could've got a shot with Hank Marvin :rolleyes:

I wish you'd suggested that last week, could've got a shot with Hank Marvin :rolleyes:

i can do better than that.

My Brother in law just celebrated his Birthday with Henry Winkler.

The Fonz Driving an Rc car how cool would that be!

I just met Steve Harris and doughter Laura before the Madien gig here in stockholm...

My sisters son with Laura

PICT0216.jpg

My Sand Scorcher held by Laura or Steve that would be cool...

But on the other hand Fonz driving would probably be cooler...

Badboy

I had a brainstorm with the local guys here for competition themes. None of them are seasonal or give an advantage to any demographic group. Here's what we come up with:

Majority revolve more so around the model itself than the actual photograph.

"Best Boxart Reproduction":

- Attempt to capture the boxart paint, theme and pose.

- Must be photographed by you and one of your own models.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- Must contain only 1 model unless more are pictured in the boxart.

- Must contain only 1 photograph.

- No editing of images.

"Best Boxart Scheme":

- Builds in the same theme and decals as the boxart but with the body painted a different colour.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- Must contain only 1 model.

- No editing of images.

- More than 1 photo is allowed but must all be of the same model.

"Best Non Boxart":

- Built away from boxart theme.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- No editing of images.

"Best Scale build":

- Modelled with something (or many things) added to enhance realism to the model.

- Model must contain something extra to kit parts to add realism. (Hopups do not qualify)

- Description must include reference to scale additions.

- No editing of images.

"Best Off Road Action":

- Photograph of your vehicle running on unsealed surfaces. (Dirt/Gravel/Grass/Garden)

- Must be a Tamiya.

- No editing of images.

"Best On Road Action":

- Photograph of your vehicle running on sealed surfaces. (Tarmac/Concrete/Indoors)

- Must be a Tamiya.

- No editing of images.

"Best RC Diorama/Display":

- Photograph of a contructed scale RC diorama setting or Display.

- Must be of your own models.

- Must contain a Tamiya RC model.

- Must be photographed by you.

- No editing of images.

"Best RC Poster/Wallpaper" (Can be edited):

- Arrange or Photograph that perfect RC poster or wallpaper.

- Must contain images of only your own models.

- Description must include information on how you modified the image.

- All arrangement and art program work must be done by you.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- Must contain only 1 image.

"Night life":

- Photograph of your RC after dark.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- No editing of images.

"The Great Outdoors":

- Photograph of your RC model outside.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- No editing of images.

"Is it 1:1 or is it scale??" Photos you need to look twice at:

- For those photos you need to look at twice (or more) to determine if it's a real car or a scale model.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- No editing of images.

"Your favourite Tamiya model":

- Enter your favourite Tamiya model.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- No editing of images.

"RC Tamiya Extreme":

- Photograph of your Tamiya doing something extreme.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- No editing of images.

"Wheels In Motion":

- Photograph of your Tamiya in motion.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- No editing of images.

"Tamiya Around the World":

- Photograph of your Tamiya model with a local landmark.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- No editing of images.

Just a short list.

Mark

Some ideas for future competitions..

CRASHES... I know this is not something we try or like to do on purpose, but there must be some good pics out there..

3 WHEELING.... Pics of cars with one wheel in the air.. This should not be real hard for anyone that owns a T/E Maxx or Savage..

ROOSTER TAILS.... Pics having a nice rooster tail of dirt / water / sand / mud coming off the rear (or all four with a 4wd) tyres..

Thoughts??

I had a brainstorm with the local guys here for competition themes. None of them are seasonal or give an advantage to any demographic group. Here's what we come up with:

Majority revolve more so around the model itself than the actual photograph.

Just a short list.

Mark

Mate, I have got to say that there are some really great ideas for competition topics here in your post.. (I actually think they are ALL great ideas).. It makes my 3 look rather lame...lol.

My hats off to you..

Cheers.

Just an idea to what mark has said.

Could also have the roughest runner contest witch involves your sunner car and the worst shape it is in

I have seen some realy bad looking cars that have been driven and im sure many have also.

so that would make a good contest.

pics include the car actualy running.

pic of the car body and under body and any other pics to convince people that it is a runner.

Must be new pics only no old pics.

what do others think ?

I wont deny there are some good ideas but looking through them i thought it would be interesting to look closer and just see how "fair" they seem, dont get me wrong if they were a Tamiya Club competition I wouldnt see it as a personal attack and would do my best to post a picture thats valid and in my eyes had a chance of winning. I just wanted to show that making a competition thats fair in everyones eyes isnt as easy as you think.

As the old phrase goes "You cant please all of the people all of the time"

"Best Boxart Reproduction":

- Attempt to capture the boxart paint, theme and pose.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- Must contain only 1 model unless more are pictured in the boxart.

- No editing of images.

"Best Boxart Scheme":

- Builds in the same theme and decals as the boxart but with the body painted a different colour.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- No editing of images.

Real fair this one Mark, couldnt it be argued that to have a good boxart scheme means you need to start off with a NIB model, considering the current state of the economy we havent got a lot of spare cash, the only car I have bought recently was a very rough runner. And so if you dont have an old photograph of a box art model your not elligible.

"Best Scale build":

- Modelled with something (or many things) added to enhance realism to the model.

- Model must contain something extra to kit parts to add realism. (Hopups do not qualify)

- Description must include reference to scale additions.

- No editing of images.

- More than 1 photo is allowed but must all be of the same model'

"Best RC Diorama/Display":

- Photograph of a contructed scale RC diorama setting or Display.

- Must be of your own models.

- Must contain a Tamiya RC model.

- Must be photographed by you.

- No editing of images.

Unfortunately not all the members (including myself) have the talent involved to build some of the awesome scale models that can be seen on here, again thats not exactly fair.

"Best RC Poster/Wallpaper" (Can be edited):

- Arrange or Photograph that perfect RC poster or wallpaper.

- Must contain images of only your own models.

- Description must include information on how you modified the image.

- All arrangement and art program work must be done by you.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- Must contain only 1 image.

Ok for those of us that dont have photoshop or the ability to use it well, why only a Tamiya bit unfair to those of the club that collect mostly other cars and may have perfect shot for it, Tamiyaclub was an early name for the site if you look closely there are many kyosho's, mardaves etc here.

"Your favourite Tamiya model":

- Enter your favourite Tamiya model.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- No editing of images.

Again why only Tamiya, bit unfair for those members who prefer other manufacturers and again have perfect model/picture to use

"RC Tamiya Extreme":

- Photograph of your Tamiya doing something extreme.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- No editing of images.

hmm, whats extreme, seems a tad vague

"Tamiya Around the World":

- Photograph of your Tamiya model with a local landmark.

- Must be a Tamiya.

- No editing of images.

Been done, and some of us dont live by very memorable local landmarks, I could photograph my truck by Warrington Town Hall, its not quite the same as someone in New York getting there truck posed with the Statue of Liberty in it, or in Sydney with the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House say. Oh and again why only Tamiya?

How about the best "OOPS!" moment caught on camera!

Must be of a model running.

Would be fun and not in the least dependent on camera or photoshop skills. :)

- I do think that the models should be Tamiya only or stretched to Tamiya or Kyosho. - Our sponsors are Tamiya vendors and this is TAMIYAclub. :P

methink all photo comp entries should be "fresh"... ie taken during the comp period, not trawled up from one's photo collection

methink all photo comp entries should be "fresh"... ie taken during the comp period, not trawled up from one's photo collection

AH! sneak push to increase flagging newspaper sales eh, Willy :) Like it!

All future entries to include current days paper in the background! Finally a comp that requires two people! :lol:

I've said it before, and I guess I'll have to day it again in future.... but mark me down again as against the elitist thinking of things having to be "Tamiya only".... it's been done many times before, each time wiser heads have shown the same response... "The name is TamiyaClub, but it's not just for Tamiya". Tamiya is the focus of the community/club (model database, parts database, manuals, etc.), but in their wisdom, Chris and team have decided not to limit everything to just Tamiya. It's a wider community, with a much wider focus. The competitions should reflect this.

Besides, Schumachers kick Tamiya butt..... :lol:;):)

Oh, apart from the Tamiyacentric focus, some good competition ideas coming here.....

Alex

As the old phrase goes "You cant please all of the people all of the time"

I guess we are back to the old guessing competitions, although they arent exactly fair to anyone that suffers from dyslexia, or any other reading and writing problems or simply just does not have english as their first language.. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should just scrap all of the competitions and just have a raffle...... (you know, stick all of the subscribers membership numbers in a hat and draw out a number and they win) :D

I feel that it would be very interesting to see what would happen or be said if the situation was reversed, and Chris had announced that the competition theme or topic was RC cars, Christmas trees and Summer.... I bet there wouldnt be too many Aussies complaining.... :P

cheers

I feel that it would be very interesting to see what would happen or be said if the situation was reversed, and Chris had announced that the competition theme or topic was RC cars, Christmas trees and Summer.... I bet there wouldnt be too many Aussies complaining.... :rolleyes:

Yeah well, we'll call that one the "get a picture of badword freezing over" competition....

Too much needle? Maybe....

Alex

Besides, Schumachers kick Tamiya butt..... :D:P:rolleyes:

Agreed! :P by miles!

where's my spade???

I've said it before, and I guess I'll have to day it again in future.... but mark me down again as against the elitist thinking of things having to be "Tamiya only".... it's been done many times before, each time wiser heads have shown the same response... "The name is TamiyaClub, but it's not just for Tamiya". Tamiya is the focus of the community/club (model database, parts database, manuals, etc.), but in their wisdom, Chris and team have decided not to limit everything to just Tamiya. It's a wider community, with a much wider focus. The competitions should reflect this.

Alex

Except for the word 'elitist' what you have said is correct and I agree with the wisdom - what you didn't note was that it started out as vintage but thats by the by. The fact remains however that our prize sponsors are specifically onboard with Tamiya prizes and are stockists in the main of Tamiya. And it is Tamiya new release prizes that grab our interest :D

Re the wider community,

If the prize was a Schuwhat? :P:P I wonder if the interest level would be the same, no matter how much more race competitive they may be.

I participate actively in the Kyosho section, and I very much like that we have it.

Great too that we have the 'other brands' section, but the view and post numbers are telling.

Anyway thread hijack not intended! BIG THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!

Good pictures and fun comps for all! :P:rolleyes:

Except for the word 'elitist' what you have said is correct and I agree with the wisdom - what you didn't note was that it started out as vintage but thats by the by.

That was a quick jab matey.... like any references to Super Champs as SRBs... always good for a laugh.

You're correct on the vintage aspect though...

Re the wider community,

If the prize was a Schuwhat? :P:P I wonder if the interest level would be the same, no matter how much more race competitive they may be.

I participate actively in the Kyosho section, and I very much like that we have it.

Great too that we have the 'other brands' section, but the view and post numbers are telling.

Anyway thread hijack not intended! BIG THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!

Good pictures and fun comps for all! :D:rolleyes:

If the prize was a brand spanking Schumacher Cat SX, I reckon you'd see a little interest.....

Agree with the sections as you say.... Tamiya, Kyosho, and Other.... although the Nikko section should be renamed "Toy Grade RC".... lol... there's another metal cylinder of wrigglers opened up...

Alex

Alex

Just another idea for a comp that I've been mulling over. I don't even know if the system could actually do it.

The idea was to have two photo's that tell a story. "Before and after" or "from this to this" or "I was trying to do this when this happened".

Basically the rest of the criteria for the comp would be the same. The difference being that there's the extra element of story telling. What would be judged is story you tell that links the 2 photo's and the photo's themselves.

Technical limitations aside, I thought this would be a pretty entertaining comp. It would also mean that all these Tamiyaclub comps wouldn't be all about those boring old Tamiyas :)

Splatt.

Just another idea for a comp that I've been mulling over. I don't even know if the system could actually do it.

The idea was to have two photo's that tell a story. "Before and after" or "from this to this" or "I was trying to do this when this happened".

Basically the rest of the criteria for the comp would be the same. The difference being that there's the extra element of story telling. What would be judged is story you tell that links the 2 photo's and the photo's themselves.

Technical limitations aside, I thought this would be a pretty entertaining comp. It would also mean that all these Tamiyaclub comps wouldn't be all about those boring old Tamiyas :P

Splatt.

Now - I really like that idea.

Cheers

Darryn