Sign in to follow this  
mtbkym01

mtbkym's RC10 Worlds Car build

Hello everyone, after documenting my RC10 Classic build here, I thought I'd do the same with my Worlds Car. There was an issue with my kit, as highlighted in the re-re thread, but I pressed on with the build anyway, with the replacement part to be fitted once it arrives. Anyway on with the build and pics

Starting again with the box and contents (a lot different inside to my Egress which arrived 1 day later :o )

IMG_2835_zps9880d863.jpg

IMG_2836_zps83b287d5.jpg

First up I went ahead in the build to the Stealth gearbox build as I had read lots of issues with the topshaft, and wanted to know if mine was gonna be a problem.

IMG_15642_zps247d093f.jpg

IMG_15652_zps92917486.jpg

This kit being the Worlds Car comes with bearings in place of the oilite bushing found in the Classic (except on the steering bellcranks). This gearbox build is very modern, and infact almost identical to that which I just built in my RC10 B5 kit also.

IMG_15662_zps18b783eb.jpg

IMG_15672_zpsa779fb72.jpg

One of the issues that has been apparent in these kits is that the flat section on the topshaft had been machined too far along the shaft, which once the slipper is mounted, causes the inside slipper plate to rub on the motor plate, no such issue with mine, plenty of clearance here

IMG_15682_zpse104464a.jpg

So, after building the stealth and seeing that "I've got a good one", I thought I'd crack on with the rest of the build, so went back to step 1 in the manual (I didn't take as many pics as I thought sorry)

The steering on the milled out black tub is where we start, and it's here that I discovered that I'll need to order some bearings, luckily for me, they are the same bearings as used in the rear of a Gold Pan, and having a full set spare for when I get around to restoring my old Edinger, so I "borrowed" 4 from there until the new ones arrive.

IMG_15702_zpsfd9d44b1.jpg

IMG_15712_zpse2908d3a.jpg

This pic jumped ahead a bit and shows the front bulkheads, shock tower and arms fitted to the chassis. I really dig the contrast beyween the black chassis and arms, and the "white" parts

IMG_2847_zpsb31794af.jpg

Onto the rear sees the stealth, rear bulkhead, and rear shock tower fitted. This bulkhead is the same as the one from the Classic, and funnily enough, the manual call for "cutting" of the lower ears with all the holes, "for a more authentic look". At this stage I haven't bothered, and not sure I will.

IMG_2848_zpsb165cb64.jpg

IMG_2849_zps9820deb2.jpg

In go the wing wire tubes, a very tight fit, a "racers tip"here is to apply a little CA glue before installing the tubes into the bulkhead

IMG_2850_zps2d8a2904.jpg

Rear arms laid out, and fitted

IMG_2851_zps0b5485ad.jpg

IMG_2852_zpsc63565bf.jpg

It's here where I encountered my problem, first CVD assembled without issue, once assembling the second one, I discovered the hole in the cup is drilled off centre :huh: , preventing it from being assembled :angry:

IMG_2854_zpsf1710269.jpg

Took it to my LHS, who will be in touch with the Australian distributor first thing tuesday morning for a replacement. It is the same part from the *4 2wd buggy, T4 truck, and B44 4wd buggy, hopefully I wont be waiting too long.

So I pressed on with the build, despite only having one driveshaft (easily fitted once I get my new CVD axle). All turnbuckles assembled and fitted

IMG_2855_zps8e1e4517.jpg

IMG_2856_zps96403306.jpg

IMG_2857_zps0afdc05f.jpg

IMG_2858_zps98353209.jpg

Next up is the shocks

IMG_2859_zpsde65aaaf.jpg

IMG_2860_zps11ecb9de.jpg

IMG_2861_zps04597e55.jpg

IMG_2862_zps2e12775b.jpg

And fitting

IMG_2863_zps412ce480.jpg

IMG_2864_zpsfb43557e.jpg

Followed by the battery cup and antenna/mount

IMG_2865_zps2d750a89.jpg

These really are a very basic car, and proof that something doesn't have to be overly complicated to be WC. Dont get me wrong though, as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing more satisfying that building an Avante/Egress for example.

It's time for electrics, and a trusty bluebird servo gets a run again

IMG_2866_zps3215f08d.jpg

IMG_2867_zps33e2a311.jpg

As for motor and speedie, the RCMart Speedpassion Revention S combo finally found a home

IMG_15692_zpscf12a559.jpg

2.2 Wheels with modern proline rubber (not a fan of proline stuff compared to aka, but oh well). Thinking of ordering white wheels instead of the kit yellow's

IMG_2868_zps4d36dff7.jpg

Wing trimed and fitted

IMG_2869_zps30bffc27.jpg

Wasn't happy with the stock battery strap fixing, from what I can gather, a screw needs to be removed for every battery change, and only being screwed into plastic, I thought the chance of plastic thread damage is too great, so I swapped them out for some JConcepts thumb nuts, that I had NIP

IMG_2870_zpsbd2796a3.jpg

So here we are, sitting on its wheels, awaiting a CVD axle, and my mate to throw some paint down on the body, hope you enjoyed the pics, will finish it off once I get the body done, cheers

IMG_2871_zps54642f2e.jpg

• Like 4

I'm running AKA rebars :P . they hook up well .

Great thread again M8 , i like the battery idea ,

even that i just charged mine in the car :D &

then put the gold pan setup in it so i can get it out .

May get them thumb nuts , Gee that is going to

hall , with that set up .

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this. I had an original rc10 back in the day, I thought the reissue may have stirred me to get one but it didn't however even with the issues reported this is starting to stir some budget shuffling to be able to afford one.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys

Thanks for sharing this. I had an original rc10 back in the day, I thought the reissue may have stirred me to get one but it didn't however even with the issues reported this is starting to stir some budget shuffling to be able to afford one.

The issues really are minor in the big scheme of things, I for one am certainly grateful to have AE join the re-re party trail blazed by Tamiya.
  • Like 1

Great build Kym.

I'm going start mine next week I hope.

Mmm I feel I,m going to have some issues though. Still can't wait.

Looking forward in seeing it all painted up.

Got the body trimmed, and glued the tyres. An unbelievable amount of mould release covers these Pro-Line tyres which requires removable before glueing so as they will actually stick to the wheels :angry: Very poor IMHO compared to my preferred AKA tyres. Note that the tyres do not come with the kit, they are a seperate purchase.

IMG_2873_zps49f5ece9.jpg

Sketched and masked the body ready for paint

IMG_2874_zps0fc6919d.jpg

First colour laid down

IMG_2875_zpsa7c9e016.jpg

Disappointingly, I dont have the paint to finish it here, so hopefully will get down to the LHS to grab some

• Like 1

Luckily I had to "pop" down the hardware store for some supplies for jobs around the house, so detoured to pick up some more paint

IMG_2878_zpse8df45fa.jpg

Just some 'Decal-ling' to do

• Like 1

Nice manly colour you have put on it :P .. Looks good .

Nice manly colour you have put on it :P .. Looks good .

Haha, yeah thought I'd try something different, not sure if I like it or not, got the decals on, and have ordered white wheels coz the yellows just don't work

IMG_2880_zps2c73e0db.jpg

IMG_2881_zpscb92a913.jpg

• Like 2

I don't mind that Kym.

Pink ??? Interesting choice. It worked on the Frog.

True Mark, and it was the Frog look that made me try it here, that and the pink RC10 decals that come with it, I think I'll reserve my own judgement until the white wheels are fitted

Now that's it's done , it does not look that bad . As mad racer said the frog was in that colour ( BTW !! i don't like the frog ) :lol: ...

Not because of colour , I think the pink is fine & you can thrash the car if you don't like it . But it's different & growing ! .

Where are you getting the wheels from ? as they are a

different off set .

I need to get more wheels & bodys , As my body has been taking a beating .

I was thinking tower hobbies , but it takes a long time to get it . I have asked

the hobby shop i go to in perth & they are not sure . I can get the wings ! .

Amain, will have to wait a while for them to get here

http://www.amain.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1450_3372/products_id/267637/n/Team-Associated-RC10-22-3-16-Rear-Wheel-White

http://www.amain.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_26_2338_2339_214_2998/products_id/14966/n/Team-Associated-22-Front-Wheel-White-B4

Also, Thunder Tiger Phoenix BXII wheels are basically the exact same wheels (apparently) according to some on RC10Talk.

Also, ordered some JCRacing spoked RC10 wheels today, these do look quite aggressive and may also really suit this build

Also, ordered some JCRacing spoked RC10 wheels today, these do look quite aggressive and may also really suit this build

The spoked JCR wheels are a nice mix of aggression and modern looks - I used them on my team car runner rebuild (not run since rebuild :( ) , the rears in particular give a wide wheel look..

IMG_0019_zps06ac13c3.jpg

• Like 3

I've had a thought that white wheels may make the car look to "Pale", and am considering dyeing some wheels black instead, thoughts?

Hey Kym, nice build mate.

We just had one of our vintage meets and there were more of these than Tamiya's......it was supposed to be a Tamiya meet. :wacko:

The performance of these things out of the box is just unreal and honestly, I've probably been pushed over the edge now.

• Like 3

Yeah Thommo, its not really fair to compare these to any other vintage cars, these were released in '94 from memory, so really are light years ahead of anything else, but they are awesome, and definitely worth having in a collection iMHO, both my white wheels have since come in, so I'd better upload some more pics, I quite like it now. Will be a week though, as I'm away working until this weekend (Out on Christmas Island, you may have heard of it ;) ). Pics to follow

• Like 1

yeah 1994 replica edition of Kinwald's 1993 ride... but still legal under

"1991" vintage racing cutoff as its considered an evolution of goldpan.

It'll run rings around everything else... :(

Got the JC Racing wheels fitted, and finally took some snaps, pretty happy now :wub:

IMG_2895_zps5b936f1e.jpg

IMG_2896_zps30b78ec0.jpg

IMG_2902_zps46758597.jpg

IMG_2905_zpsc333a3f6.jpg

• Like 2

Looking sharp !!! ...

Now get some dirt on it :P ..

• Like 2

Looks much better with the white spokes. Good choice!