Sign in to follow this  
TamTom

Egress: original vs re-re?

Hi folks!

I wonder what is better choise to run with. An original or re-re Egress? I could get a new built original Egress for same money as a new in box re-re Egress. I definately will run the buggy but only with reasonable care and together with other vintage buggies. No killer jumps and concrete hard soil.

What you experienced Egress owner can recommend me?

Thanks

Cheers Thomas

I don't have neither of them, but anyway my advise will be the rere. I prefer a rere on any runner, as the plastic will be fresh, and should should hold up better.

The re-re will also have some minor improvments - so if you're not bothered about the originality then why not have the experience of opening the box and building it fresh

The re-re will also have some minor improvments - so if you're not bothered about the originality then why not have the experience of opening the box and building it fresh

What are they? Basically I tend to the re-re but a buddy is selling his original.

The minor improvements could be just re-enforcement of parts which Tamiya maybe aware from the original that tends to break.

If you will not be driving it hard, the original in good shape should be better as it is the original version. Is like having an original cobra with the 427 motor vs a spanking new cobra with fuel injection and AC...may not be a proper comparsion, i would go for the original provided is in good condition, but be prepare to spend more for the upkeep even if you do run it gently. Should you not care for either go with the one with the lowest cost over all.

The minor improvements could be just re-enforcement of parts which Tamiya maybe aware from the original that tends to break.

If you will not be driving it hard, the original in good shape should be better as it is the original version. Is like having an original cobra with the 427 motor vs a spanking new cobra with fuel injection and AC...may not be a proper comparsion, i would go for the original provided is in good condition, but be prepare to spend more for the upkeep even if you do run it gently. Should you not care for either go with the one with the lowest cost over all.

Yeah, I was thinking the same basically. As said, the original Egress I can get is new built and just sat in a shelf since ever and I just have to pick it up 2km from my home and I know the owner very well as he is a buddy. I also think it is the better choice. To build a re-re out of the box is something nice for sure but, it may cost me even more because it is from Asia and I have to get it through customs. So risk that customs stop the parcel up and it cost me in the end about 70 euro more is quite high. I think I will go with the original as I also prefer to run an original.

Thanks to all for your comments and thoughts.

Thomas

Main changes of interest as a runner are the beefed up driveshafts and the thicker carbon shock towers. You've also got the benefit of the castellated diff out drives and the fact everything is fresh materials.

Main changes of interest as a runner are the beefed up driveshafts and the thicker carbon shock towers. You've also got the benefit of the castellated diff out drives and the fact everything is fresh materials.The

The main changes I knew thanks that you mentioned them again. Also I will be running with standard 540 silvercan as this is the regulation of our vintage race class. I think the reinforced parts can be hopped up later if necessary - right?

I was running a vintage egress & all i did was use the re re arms ( keep the old ones to put back on when you are going to shelf it )

Re re body , i had a repo one on & re re wheels & the B2 & G1 parts . These parts will get the scrapes scratches , so i keeped

the originals & most of the parts came off re re avante / vajra .

Oh ! that's right also replaced PA8 / PA7 the front uprights . I did jumps ( not to big ) & have some great fun .

Then the re re egress came out , So i put on all the orignal parts back on & body . Looks great & build a re re for racing .

Nothing wrong with old original, I recently rebuilt 2 ancient racers just to see how they faired.

Old potmetal O-hub is soft & can be bent if hit hard, new has gold billet alloy.

This is the only worthwhile upgrade on the new car.

Plastic knuckles are fragile (usually they break before the O-hub) but now alloy hopup is available

or fresh new plastic sprues from new car. I'd stick with plastic if you didn't break often.

Modern diffs, outdrives & universals are easier to build but the oldies work fine too.

They don't need much work fixing, especially if you're only running low powered 540s.

Same deal with shocks.

Old car has front shocks with proper Egress more upright stance, this is a big WIN point. :)

Might be worth getting a new front shock tower or aftermarket maybe, the old plate is thin/weak.

Blue 6mm ballcups are another Egress trademark.

Nows a greatest time for running old Egress, you can enjoy the old design & add new bits as needed.

The rere are on sale this week at Tamico.de for 322,22 €.

Thanks guys! Dinball is selling an Egress for 267 euro! With postage it is 300 euro. However, I gonna order a re-re from Tamico and may buy the original Egress from my buddy for the vitrine. I think that's a compromise :-)

• Like 1

I gonna order a re-re from Tamico and may buy the original Egress from my buddy for the vitrine. I think that's a compromise :-)

Thats how you drain your wallet even faster. Seems the re re is better but the ideal of running an original is tempting and not wanting to upset your friend as you may indicated you will take it off him. It turns out may cost you if you do buy both and even selling one in the end. I would buy just one. If your buddy's model comes with battery, electronics, etc...the more reason to....you never mentioned what the original is going for but i imagine the diff.is not huge. I would stick with my recommendation to go with the original for the following reasons.

1) is an original, provided is in good condition

2) you will be a sunday runner

3) he is your buddy, for friendship

4) you would jumping for joy for what your buddy did if tamiya did not do the re re.

Thats how you drain your wallet even faster. Seems the re re is better but the ideal of running an original is tempting and not wanting to upset your friend as you may indicated you will take it off him. It turns out may cost you if you do buy both and even selling one in the end. I would buy just one. If your buddy's model comes with battery, electronics, etc...the more reason to....you never mentioned what the original is going for but i imagine the diff.is not huge. I would stick with my recommendation to go with the original for the following reasons.

1) is an original, provided is in good condition

2) you will be a sunday runner

3) he is your buddy, for friendship

4) you would jumping for joy for what your buddy did if tamiya did not do the re re.

Again I agree with you. One side of me is saying buy the original, race it gently and enjoy the original. The other side is saying get the rere and race it for fun. Buy the other original and put it in the vitrine and enjoy to have a new built shiny original beside my other vintage Tamiya's. You know, I am a collector and running the original when I can get a re-re is a bit of a hassle. I do it same with the sons Wild One, my Super Shot runner and I think I do same with the Egress. Yes, it cost alot this way but, hey that is money is made for and life is to short, so life it. :)

Can't argue with that. You have TC's members blessings.:-) And you still have the option to sell it later.

Updates for re-re

- Smooth modern adjustable ball diffs (lumpy shimmed ball diffs on original)

- Rebuildable CVD style driveshafts all around (U-joints in front, dog bone in rear on original)

- Reinforced rear lower arm mounts ala Avante 2001 (absent on original)

- Thicker rear shock tower

- Redesigned front shock tower

- Eliminated front shock lower cantilever mounts & uses softer front springs to compensate (not necessarily an upgrade)

- Chassis posts moved forward for modern battery fitment

Superficial

- Added mount holes to upper deck for driver figure for Avante 2001 re-re body set option

That's all I can think of right now.

• Like 1

Thank you for summerise the re-re mods! That sounds good for running purpose and makes me believe I did the right decision to buy the re-re for running and the original for Display purpose.

Yup... if ever in doubt, buy both. :D surefire way to avoid future disappointment, guaranteed

For me if the parts are available with me ( which i have ;) ) for vintage then would love to play it...depends on how much spares u have to enjoy the vintage.

;)

The Egress will my first new buggy than a SuperShot or Bigwig. So no spare parts for the Egress I have so far. But I think this will change soon :)

For me if the parts are available with me ( which i have ;) ) for vintage then would love to play it...depends on how much spares u have to enjoy the vintage.

meh I've hoarded a pile of Egress/Avante spares & multiple runners for 10yr+ but never really got urge to run them much

trouble is a sorted Egress is a pretty good handler on a racetrack ... = boring :) ain't that different to a modern car

Main attraction is other RCers going "ooh that's a rare beast, sure you dare drive it so fast?"

to which the only proper reply is offering them the TX & "here you have a go" :P

Only casualties so far have been front knuckles (steering ear) & front gearbox (ears & bottom hatch).

1 Avante came with a broken top deck mount for rear arm, but its an obvious weak point.

Then again it could be Murphy's Law... I rarely break any part I already have spares for :D

All right. Today the beast arrived! :D Man that is a great kit :wub: All in blisters, very nicely packed and the box is a piece of art like all the other vintage kits from the early days. I can't wait to start the build. But first I have to finish the restoration of my Mk1 Hotshot, then I can build the Egress. :)

Did you build your Egress?

If so, can we see some pictures, Please :)

• Like 1