kar120c

Kyosho Beetle 2014 opinions

Love, the 2014 edition of the classic Kyosho beetle! I am a Tamiya fan but the Kyosho seems to be more well made.

How is this buggy compared to Sand Scorcher and to a "modern" buggy.

Apparently no upgrades are necessary; how is the stock motor and what motor can withstand the chassis?

Is the battery compartement suitables for modern lipos?

I love my 2014 Beetle. Best build in many years, and quality feels excellent. Cannot really compare it to a Sand Schorcher, as the Beetle body is more or less the only comparable thing on these two kits from different ages. The Kyosho is a decent racer. It comes without motor, but I have the Lemans motor that was released with the rere Scorpion. It is a 30t and does the job real good. Yes there is space for a 2s lipo.

Some of the real nice touches apart from great quality are: Precut body, precut stickers and preprinted white letters on the tires.

I love my 2014 Beetle. Best build in many years, and quality feels excellent. Cannot really compare it to a Sand Schorcher, as the Beetle body is more or less the only comparable thing on these two kits from different ages. The Kyosho is a decent racer. It comes without motor, but I have the Lemans motor that was released with the rere Scorpion. It is a 30t and does the job real good. Yes there is space for a 2s lipo.

Some of the real nice touches apart from great quality are: Precut body, precut stickers and preprinted white letters on the tires.

30t motor, isn't too low? about wheels, they are "tamiya" compatible with 12mm hexagon?

The wheels clamp up to a knurled face on the hub. There is actually no locked connection between the axle and the wheel. I was sure it would slip, but been okay so far. Not compatible with anything Tamiya. The gearbox is extremely strong and includes a slipper clutch. I have run mine on a very powerful 4-pole brushless motor for 4x4 short course trucks without any problems.

Post some pics and I am sure they can be identified.

Bear in mind that the Scorpion comes with plastic wheels which are very convincing faux-alloys. They look really good - not thinking of these are you?

I'd recommend this buggy in a heartbeat. It's a very fun buggy to run and the build and quality is great.

3 hours ago, D.B. Hooper said:

My Kyosho Bettle will be here tomorrow. Was thinking about this motor and ESC.  Castle Creations 1/10 SV3 Sidewinder SCT System 3800kV Is it a good choice? I'm looking for a bit more power than the stock recommended set up.  Thanks for any recommendations. This is my first kit. 

Glen

Honestly, that set up is way too much power for this chassis. Get a Hobbywing 1060 and an a cheep 21t brushed motor. Perfect combo.

9 hours ago, Theibault said:

Honestly, that set up is way too much power for this chassis. Get a Hobbywing 1060 and an a cheep 21t brushed motor. Perfect combo.

Thanks for the advice. I certinly don't want to over power chassis. Not to worried about cost of the motor or ESC. The sidewinder motor  is one of the recommended up grades on Tower Hobbies web site.

Glen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D.B. Hooper said:

Thanks for the advice. I certinly don't want to over power chassis. Not to worried about cost of the motor or ESC. The sidewinder motor  is one of the recommended up grades on Tower Hobbies web site.

Glen

I think a 20 turn or 21 turn will be good I have a tamiya torque tuned motor I believe in my scorpion and it's plenty fast.

go with what Theibault said there good ESC's

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D.B. Hooper said:

That's a good set up. It will be pretty fast too.

1 hour ago, Theibault said:

That's a good set up. It will be pretty fast too.

Glad to hear that! I spent most of the day doing research on all the forums. 

The real bummer is a bunch of parts are missing  two of them are the first parts needed to start the build!  sc221  and all of the servo saver parts. Who knows what else will turn up missing!

Ordered from tower hobbies. 

Having looked over the kit tonight I'm excited to get started with the build. To bad some of the first parts needed are missing from my kit.

Next on my list is a good radio transmitter. Was looking at this. It may be over kill as I don't plan on having 30 cars! I do want something of good quility.  http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Spektrum-DX4S-DSMR-Radio-with-SR415-FREE-SRS4210-p/spm4020w.htm  

This is my first real hobby grade car. I have several cheap RC cars and buggies from Banggood and a Losi Mini Rally car. 

My other hobby is RC planes the last 10 years. I'm President of our club.

Glen

21 hours ago, D.B. Hooper said:

Never liked the spektrum... airtronics and futaba are better signal and Ko propo are just awesome!

Having looked over the kit tonight I'm excited to get started with the build. To bad some of the first parts needed are missing from my kit.

Next on my list is a good radio transmitter. Was looking at this. It may be over kill as I don't plan on having 30 cars! I do want something of good quility.  http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Spektrum-DX4S-DSMR-Radio-with-SR415-FREE-SRS4210-p/spm4020w.htm  

This is my first real hobby grade car. I have several cheap RC cars and buggies from Banggood and a Losi Mini Rally car. 

My other hobby is RC planes the last 10 years. I'm President of our club.

Glen

I use  Spektrum for all my planes last 9 years. Maybe land based signals are different?  

I'm open to using Airtronics, or Futaba.  Witch model is best between the $100 to $150 range?

22 hours ago, D.B. Hooper said:

I use  Spektrum for all my planes last 9 years. Maybe land based signals are different?  

I'm open to using Airtronics, or Futaba.  Witch model is best between the $100 to $150 range?

these 2 look nice for the $ look over there features they show them all for each radio.

http://www.futabarc.com/systems/futk3200-3pv/index.html

http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/airtronics-mx-v-pistol-grip-with-w-p-receiver-3ch-2-4ghz-fh2-radio.html

On 26/09/2016 at 5:27 PM, D.B. Hooper said:

can't say about the older spektrum air stuff, but currently they are using dsmr for ground and dsmx for air, not sure what the acronyms stand for, but do know that dsm, dsm2, dsmr have all given car control issues at my local track in different spots around it, and on one occasion, a flysky gt2 radio firing up actually interferred so badly that the car went completely out of control, even with the tx sitting right next to it.