Sign in to follow this  
Wez-li

Boomerang project, one careful owner.

So I bought this Boomerang off the bay last week, it arrived looking very sorry for itself.

20140522_141533_zps738150d6.jpg

The tyres were perished to the point of no return so went straight in the bin.

Started stripping it.

20140523_213157_zps28a639dc.jpg

Less said about the shell the better, answers on a postcard please.

20140523_213114_zps3f5e193c.jpg

20140523_213127_zps9ca55e9c.jpg

I'm not convinced that a screw has been turned on this since about 1987, definitely one of the dirtiest, through age not recent use, that I've pulled apart.

20140523_213657_zps0415b719.jpg

The front gearbox!

20140523_215514_zpsd4862084.jpg

Doesn't seem to be too much missing that would stop it from running, apart from B10 which is broken and I don't have a prop shaft either :(

20140523_215910_zpsf29e3f2e.jpg

Electrics look dodgy so they'll obviously need replacing too

I have no idea what to do with it, restore it?

20140524_192612-1_zps2fd48428.jpg

or something else a bit more interesting?

Wow! I saw this on eBay and wondered if anyone would bother as it looked in such a state! Looking forward to seeing how the resto progresses. Good luck getting rid of all that gearbox grease!!!

Had you noticed that it's got original hotshot / supershot front uprights fitted. This might cause you problems with the original boomerang drive shafts being too long, as the offsets for those uprights is different to those of the boomerang......

If you want to do something different...

Many moons ago, when God was a boy, I fitted a second rear gearbox to my boomerang to make a 6x6 hill climber. If you already have a boomer you could use the rear end off this to achieve that. Just need to make a couple of ally plates to attach the extra box, and a bit of extra wiring for the second motor. :)

If you do want to restore it I think I've got a centre drive shaft and some blue front uprights somewhere, as well as a used but not quite as tired bodyshell, which a can let go for a small fee :)

Come to think of it, I think I may still have the plates I made for attaching the second gearbox somewhere too.

Go ahead and restore it!! Doesnt look that bad, nice clean and shine, new body, new tires. Parts are available and cheap. Ive restored worst then that. Should make a nice runner.

Even if you decide to pass it on, youd probably get more $$ from it if its all cleaned up at least. And you should test the electrics first before saying they are dodgy, they could all be good and useable. Probably not the best candidate for a shelfqueen though.

Give it a clean, or give it two more drive wheels as per MadInventor's advice!

That front track looks wacky... Probably either the camera angle or the front knuckle. Best of luck with your future course of action for it!

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Madinventor - Not sure about a 6x6 conversion, thanks for the offer though, I didn't even notice the uprights weren't blue boomerang ones, shows how long I've been away for!

@pizzachaude - I'm having a look at the msc & electrics this afternoon, not holding my breath but will probably be fixable. (Btw "shelfqueen" is a swearword to me ;) )

I'm probably just gonna restore it on a budget, been a couple years since I've done a resto, but I have done similar jobs before so shouldn't be a problem :)

Keep going Wez, uprights and b10 are put to ones side for you. Waiting for the rest of your 'wanted' list

@Willychang - Very. It's almost 4mm thick in places.

@Percymon - thanks mate, not sure much else will be needed, I'm gonna try either find a bumper or get a modified small bumper to fit. Never liked the big ones on this type of chassis.

Should have it completely stripped by tomorrow ready for cleaning.

I'm about to start a Boomer resto and I thought mine was dirty but you take the award for dirtiest boomerang. Good luck with what ever you choose to do, I'll be watching with interest ;)

Managed to get a few minutes to myself and finish stripping the chassis.

20140526_183414-1_zps55144eb5.jpg

All plastic parts are soaking now, will start on the metal parts later.

Managed to get a bit of cleaning done. I've started the rebuild now.

20140602_173318_zpsac081830.jpg

20140602_173355_zps926d9d73.jpg

Its amazing what a bit of elbow grease can achieve, looking good

Had you spotted that there's a drive shaft fitted in where the output shaft should be ?? ;)

Had you spotted that there's a drive shaft fitted in where the output shaft should be ?? ;)

Think it's the right one, just a funny camera angle.

20140605_161323_zps80ea643f.jpg

It's thicker than the driveshafts.

I could be wrong, I've been working nights this week ;)

It's definetly not a standard boomerang item, as the standard one has a plastic outer sheath, see step 17 below.

img33435_05062014192509_1.jpg

It looks to me like a shaft from another model, and I doubt it will work with the standard centre drive shaft, as there will be nothing to stop the centre shaft from dropping out of the drive cup. Might be out of something like a DF-03 perhaps ?

Well I knew it wasn't a driveshaft ;)

But yeah, you're spot on, it's definitely not the standard item. Probably explains why it didn't come with a prop shaft.

Rwd boomer anyone? :)

The drive cup is from re re hot shot drive shaft.

Max

Looking great! How do you get the plastics so shiny or are they just in that great of shape?

Looking great! How do you get the plastics so shiny or are they just in that great of shape?

Cheers mate.

I leave all the plastics to soak overnight, then scrub them clean of as much dirt as I can

Then I spray them with this 3 in one professional lubricant and then wipe dry.

20140606_155647_zps3abf1945.jpg

The drive cup is from re re hot shot drive shaft.

Max

Here's a close up pic.

20140606_161043_zps7228be64.jpg

Will they need replacing with original boomerang items then? Or is there a suitable prop shaft for this drivetrain?

Don't see why you can't get a re-re shaft to fit those cups...?

Don't see why you can't get a re-re shaft to fit those cups...?

But if they're from a re re hotshot will the measurements be different for the propshaft? Or are they all interchangeable?