XV Pilot

Mf-01x - suzuki jimny, mercedes g-wagen & others

Recently announced as a new release for Shizuoka, the new M-size 4X4 chassis topped by a Suzuki Jimny shell sounds rather exciting. I thought I might start this thread so that we can discuss our hopes and dreams for it, as well as share any concrete info when it becomes available.

This isn't Tamiya's first M-size 4WD - there was of course the TA-05 M-four chassis that doesn't seem all that popular, no doubt at least in part to its tiny 380-size motor mount and battery bay designed around a Tamiya LiFe battery. It is hoped that this new offering will take a full 540-size motor and standard NiMH and LiPo packs.

It will be interesting to see the drive layout. It could be a belt drive like its predecessor, or it could follow the shaft-drive layout of the 3Racing TT-01 M-chassis conversion. It may be a TA-06-style gear/belt hybrid, and the short M-size wheelbase opens up another interesting option in the form of an all-gear drivetrain as used on the GF-01. I wonder which it will be?

And do you think we'll be seeing the cartoonish wheelie Jimny shell, or a proper 1/10 scale one? Tamiya make both wheelie and scale Pajeros, so a scale Jimny isn't beyond the realms of possibility. We may even see the more recent body shape!

What are your thoughts?

The Jimny shell would, if it's the same as the one used on the WR-02 and GB-02 Jimny models, indicate a 172mm'ish wheelbase and thus a chassis not related to the M-chassis at all. But then again, what would "M Size" stand for?

We can only hope . A 4x4 M Chassis opens up so many exciting body choices that would look great on it . Metro 6R4 for example

• Like 1

Having recently shortened a TL01 to M chassis wheelbase my preference would be for a similar gear & shaft driven design.

Ideally it would be a modular chassis with blocks such as the front gearbox and steering servo, a battery section that'll take square hard case lipos, the rear gearbox and motor assembly, and then some spacer blocks to get the wheelbase you want. That would allow you to shift the battery forwards or backwards in the chassis depending on where you place the spacer blocks.

You could also potentially construct a chassis with any length wheelbase buy adding extra spacers or even extra front/rear end gearboxes for multi axle vehicles. All you'd need it a prop shaft to link the front and rear gearboxes.

A hard plastic scale Jimny body or the older Samurai would make a great scale runner.

That's all very wishful thinking of course :D

• Like 2

Speedway Pal made an M Chassis size Sierra/Samurai.. I wonder if Tamiya is going to do a relicensing thing like they did with Parma?

I'm hoping for a solid M-chassis with adjustable wheelbase, 540 motor and hardcase lipos. Other than that, not really sure what else I want from a 4wd M-chassis. If they're fitting the Jimny shell then I guess it's a short wheelbase, I can't imagine Tamiya wouldn't want to follow up with other M-size bodies so they'll hopefully have made it adjustable for that reason. But who knows for sure?

I'm quite excited to see the first pics :D

I am hoping for an enclosed drivetrain and plenty of gearing options, so I can make a little trail companion for my larger Pajero and Evoque trail models. The real Jimny is remarkably good offroad for its size, and I hope the model can be made to perform similarly.

Looks like all-new chassis... if they're offering a ball bearing set for it :)

Unless they're recycling the GB Hotshot chassis perhaps.

Well, the GB-03 TTG Hotshot has a wheelbase of 189mm.

• Like 1

Worst-case scenario: TA-05 M-Four with a Suzuki Jimny shell from the WR-02, with badly-butchered wheel arches to make it fit... Not that I am hoping for such a monstrosity - my hopes are high for a more scale-looking vehicle!

• Like 1

I hope for a short wheelbase to put a Porsche 959 or celica gr.b on top of it.

Exactly what I was thinking. Get a ***** body and you have a robust 959 for not a lot of cash. In fact I wonder if this is being designed with a 959 re-re in mind?

Personally I just hope that is has the following features...

Shaft rather than belt

Adjustable wheelbase

Fits a standard Lipo

More excited about the potential of this chassis than I have been for a while.

Exactly what I was thinking. Get a ***** body and you have a robust 959 for not a lot of cash. In fact I wonder if this is being designed with a 959 re-re in mind?

Personally I just hope that is has the following features...

Shaft rather than belt

Adjustable wheelbase

Fits a standard Lipo

More excited about the potential of this chassis than I have been for a while.

I like the idea of building a runner 959 on a 4wd m chassis, but a re-re I would prefer the original chassis. As I think that one looks great and special.

The soft top version of that appeals to me more XV .

The soft top version does look quite attractive, but knowing my luck I would mess up the masking of the cloth section, unless of course they provide decals for it.

In pink?

Perhaps, maybe with a "Powered by fairydust" bumper sticker. :)

• Like 2

shaft drive, 3 wheel bases capable (210,225,239)

Its a rear motor shaft driven monocoque design. Looks good and it also has 3 adjustable wheelbases. Pics soon :)

• Like 2

Interesting. I wonder if the X in MF-01X relates to the wheelbase setting, or something else? I'm wondering if this is an off-road oriented chassis configuration (given it's under a Jimny shell) and, if so, if it has been exclusively designed for off-road or if we'll have follow-up variants for tarmac, drift and race?

Intrigued : )

My guess is that this will be a off road chassis .