Sign in to follow this  
Andyrt200

Can I flat (sand) lexan bodys & used metallic paint?

Just a quick one, as tittled really can I flat (sand) lexan bodys then spray them with PS-61

metallic paint?

I've had good results flatting them before using solid colours after & picked up that tip on here, but just wanted to check it was ok with metallic. I'm just a bit bothered that any areas that don't get flatted may give a diffenent finish to areas that do, also could the metal flake follow the groves made by the wet & dry paper? I guess if I just stick to 1200 grit I should be ok?

Yeah, the metal flake falls into the micro scratches and stands out like crazy.

You really shouldn't need to (sand) if you're using polycarbonate paint, particularly Tamiya, and you've washed the body properly, with the exception of fluorescent paints. I've never seen them stick really well.

Thanks, yes I see, I tried it on a bit of the off cuts didn't look too nice!

I've only done it before where I've needed to repair them so wanted to be sure the paint was sticking very well as I found the paint would pull off with the glue. So I've taken to giving the bits I think could need fixing a good key on new shells now.

This is on a CC-01 though so shouldn't be going as fast as the others to get quite so bashed up...