teddyt

what gives you the best buzz..

just been sat here thinking ;)

what gives you guy's the biggest buzz..... getting a brand new in box kit from your LHS

or getting the bargain from the bay/second hand.

For me the used bargain does it!!

tracking a car down and then getting it for a good price almost better than playing with my toys

Sniping something in the last couple second on ebay. Your all in and you don't know what's gonna happen once you click the final bid button. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. Gets me every time.

Personally, I favour the New-In-Box finds because I think assembling the kit is at least half the fun. It was a large part of the reason I got into the hobby.

NIB for me. Cracking it open, smelling the plastics, opening the manual. I like restoring older cars, but NIB does it for me.

Either Thrashing a car or having a NIB kit just waiting to be built!

Scouring ebay for used cars that I cant afford, soooooooo addictive!!

+1 ;)

Great question! On one hand I love the NIB kit. Staring at the kitbox, marveling at the artwork and how different it looks fullsize and not a tiny internet or catalog picture. Slitting the shrink wrap and staring at it again. The kit always looks a bit different without its shrink wrap. Letting my eyes wander over the fine print and side panels. Clasping the sides of the box and feeling it slowly lift off from the slight vacuum created by doing so. And ta-da!, the kit contents in all their unassembled glory. All the spurs, hardware bags and the unfinished body. The intoxicating aroma of the rubber tires that takes you right back to the 80's. Carefully digging down to slide out the colorful decal sheet and the instruction manual that get's you aquainted with the build ahead of you. Its an experience I still savor to this day. RTRs are dead to me.

On the other hand, tracking down that elusive used piece for the collection has its charms. When you unbox it and begin turning it around in your hands realizing that after all these years you've finally got it. Knowing that it was passed on, many times by those who have simply lost interest in it, but yet it means so much to you. Used cars have history. If only they could talk! Some of their lives have been rough and some have been greatly enjoyed in the past. Knowing now this kit will get torn down and built back up to hold a special place in a collection or as a runner again. Giving something a new lease on life is rewarding as well.

+2 ;)

NIB kits are good. Yeah, who wouldn't like 'em? But, you know, NOTHING compares to finding a ridiculously cheap old beat-up classic RC car that you can take home with you. To dismantle that old goat, clean it, strip that unique hard-plastic body, change parts, exchange or sell surplus bits to buy some more. For me nothing beats the feeling of looking at that "old toy", knowing all the work involved in the restoration process, and smiling because it was something that was almost impossible to own back in the day. That sure does it for me! ;)

Oh, and forgot to mention other thrills like finding the original box, or the manual. That's sure SWEET! Ha ha. ;)

When buying used and receiving little bonus treasures, like old documentation, brochures, part decal sheets or finding out the car has optional parts that were not listed in the ad, it may just be bearings or a decent pinion, but it's these things that give me a bit of a buzz ;)

Nib is nice but for me it can't beat the experience of turning something from this;

KGrHqUOKpYE5c1DIrczBOkJub24PQ60_12.jpg

To this;

2012-03-17115127.jpg

;)

Scouring ebay for used cars that I cant afford, soooooooo addictive!! ;)

+1

it is like a drug :lol:

that's no worse than buying something that looks a good buy, only to find you spend a fortune on new parts to restore it ;)

First, I like running them. Second, I like building them. The runners I have brought back to life make me smile when they are out doing what they're supposed to be doing. That's part of why spare parts drive me loopy. I can't have anything that looks like a whole car as spares, I'll pass it on first. I appreciate the new ones too but I don't have the memories of the poor thing about half dead. I'm sure it's a hunter gatherer thing combined with a love of mechanical things. I do enjoy Ebay but Craigs list gets me even worse. They'll sit listed for a while and I feel for them, the next stop for most are the rubbish bins. I think that's part of why when I do go out on a Craigs list buy I end up with so many. I meet somebody else that can't take them sitting idle and they'd rather sell them for next to nothing. So for those reasons I prefer the used ones the best, besides for the price of one new one I can get up to 7 used if I play it right.

To me, I just love opening up a NIB (particularly one with blister presentation):

IMG_1073.jpg

But the again, getting a basket case and transforming it into something like this is awesome aswell:

IMG_2091.jpg

To sum up, too hard to call, I get a buzz from all aspects of this hobby.

For me..you cannot beat buying a fresh new kit & building it..painting it..then using it.

Cleaning it & servicing it like a real car!!.. ;)

what gives me the best buzz.... :blink:

having few shots or several cold beers or smoking cigars and drinking at the same time on an empty stomach...that should be you a big buzz.

what gets me high are, getting the NIB or the model I wanted; building her or just looking at her seating on the shelve along with her neighbors; running her. I am get high all the time in this hobby and I think all members are in the same boat else we won't be here.

Cheers

The anticipation of a NIB kit is always greater; the drive home with that pristine shrink-wrapped box full of perfect new parts is more exciting than having to put some crusty old lump in the trunk so I don't take a chance on getting any dirt or wayward grease/shock oil on the upholstery. And I have always loved the process of building, especially that moment when it goes from being a pile of sub-assemblies to something that looks like a car. That first drive, which for me almost always happens without the body, is pretty sweet too.

But with the dwindling number of manufacturers offering kits, and the increasing prevalence of a "new" kit being largely recycled parts from the last one (face it, Axial only makes one truck, really), the thrill of a new build is fading fast. I still love Tamiya, and I'm appreciative of their efforts to bring back older models that I missed the first time around, but their kit "feel" is pretty much the same across the board. I miss the days when you had to learn how a manufacturer did things in order for their instructions to make sense.

I get less excited looking at an old used car; after that moment of "is that what I think it is?", I start seeing all the dirt and broken parts and it just starts to look like work. But then I get it home and onto the workbench, and start poking around, and it's not as bad as I thought, and besides, it was a third the price of a new kit, so who cares if it's a little banged up? I strip it and clean it and order a new body shell and tires for it, and steal radio gear from another car, and spend about twice as much time reviving it than I would have spend building a new car, but then I somehow end up driving it more.

So I guess the buzz might be greater from a new kit, but it seems like the long-term satisfaction is greater from restoring an old junker. What I really want to do, someday, is build a vintage NIB kit, something at least 20-25 years old. Best of both worlds, maybe?

More and more i'am moving away from building kits . I think i get more enjoyment from designing my own creations . I still love tamiya but now more as a source of parts than anything else .

More and more i'am moving away from building kits . I think i get more enjoyment from designing my own creations . I still love tamiya but now more as a source of parts than anything else .

I'd have to agree with you on that. I just returned from the LHS with parts to seriously alter the minis. The cars here that are stock are easy to find. One is under glass and the other hangs from the wall, neither are going to be driven again. I buy far more used than new for a lot of reasons but the truth is that I'm happier with them my way instead of as they came.

However every time I read this thread title I think the same thing. "What gives me the best buzz?" It's the twin battery pack in the vanning with wet hands. Their new, does that count?