Sign in to follow this  
storm9a

Dirt Trasher pinion/spur gears

Hello everyone, I'm new around here :)

I'll give a quick intro first and cut to the chase below.

I got my DT from a garage sale, non running state. The remote was missing, no batteries, questionable electronics, but I decided to put effort in it to have it running again. I modified it to LiPO/brushless combo and not knowing what to expect really I took it to the street to have a test run. I pulled the trigger not expecting too much, but I was REALLY suprised with the result.

That thing can really go! I had to reduce both throttle and acceleration to about a half in order to be manageable and not to destroy the tranny.

So after a couple of broken front shock towers, and making a front wheel-covering fender for it, this happened:

The Chase

a stripped spur gear! Not a biggie, but I'd like to ask you fine gentleman where/what should i get?

I think the current one is stock, pinion gear as well (18t i think). They lasted fine i guess, they were left as is when i rebuilt it, and they weren't in a new condition. I understand that DT shares transmission parts with TA01 chassis? I looked at some spur gears, but the pictures seem not the same as the one i have, so i'm unsure it would all fit.

I think i also need a new pinion gear, the teeth on this one seem a little crooked.

So, any pointers and help are wellcome :) im a noob with RC cars and it took me sweet time even to figure out what is what and whos who in Tamiya datasheets for discontinued/old models.

Thanks in advance!

If you've got the Dirt Thrasher manual, you can look out for parts numbers and try searching on the web for spare parts.

If you don't have it, you can download the manual from TamiyaUSA.com:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-kits-30/off-road-buggies-36450/rc-dirt-thrasher-58160

Most of Tamiya's pinions are made of a soft alloy that wears very fast, killing the plastic spur gear in the process.

It is recommended to get a steel pinion of the same pitch and tooth count. This will help the plastic spur to survive in effect (no need to change the spur for a heavy metal one). I have no idea abouth the pinion pitch of the DF-01/TA-01. But I guess it's either metric module 0.6 or metric module 0.8.

Another hop-up I've seen frequently mentioned by DF-01/TA-01 owners is a metal motor mount, since they say the plastic motor mount gets cracked over time.

when going brushless on the DF01 models (which share same tranny component as the TA01/02)

- steel pinion, 16T .6 metric (RRP)

- all plastic gear set, standard big spur gear works best, get rid of all the alloy gears

- ballbearings

- alloy motor mount (gpm, pargu etc)

- dont get to big wheels

- reinforce the rear gearbox

here is a nice little thread

Thanks Greg and waterbok!

i know about other upgrades, I was planning to do those too, i'm just focusing on the transmission at the moment. would anyone happen to know exactly what plastic spur gear to get, like i said i was looking at some for TA01 chassis and it looks about right, but it doesn't seem the same around the axle, this one i have is somewhat different in that area? :wacko:

thanks!

Do you have the one with the alloy inner gear?

this is the replacement set you would be looking for. Not the speedgears

DSC01719.jpg

yeah the inner gear is alloy, i thought that was stock? anyway, i'll get a set from the picture, thanks!

The gears have seen undergone some evolution from the Manta Ray up to the TA02...

All plastic (TA02) gears and a steel pinion are indeed the best choice.

Nice one by the way, got any pics? :)

just one at the moment, it is dissasembled currently. here's the pic just before the last run :)

2d82rsh.jpg