jayst

ta03f to ta03r

hi guys , what would I require to convert my ta03f to a ta03r ?

part tree's etc for a full conversion .

thanks

TA03R B Parts (front gear case) 50743 (good luck finding it...)

Provided you have all of the original kit parts for your TA03F and the parts trees left over that should cover it? It's the same belt, same gears etc. If you don't have the original parts trees you might need the E parts possibly.

Is it a twin-deck FRP / Carbon or an original plastic tub chassis?

It might be quicker / easier to source a decent used TA03R online and swap the useful parts over to one chassis.

Cheeky I know, but I currently have a TA03F-S/R-S chassis conversion kit on ebay at the moment. It would allow you to create a short-chassis TA03F or TA03R (237mm wheelbase) if you wished to do so..

To make an F into an R you need the R tub, FRP top beam and the front non-motor gearbox case.

Some Rs use shorter SuperMiniCVAs with lower profile front shock tower for GT bodies.

You can reuse the F's std front shock tower with std shocks for sedan shells.

What shell are you planning on running on it and how are you planning to use it?

If it's a shell designed for an 03f then you can get away with swapping the gear boxes around but that will give you a very rear biased weight distribution with an 03f tub (battery is at the back of the tub as opposed to the front of the 03r tub).

If it's a low fronted 03r shell then you will need the right gear box and front shock mount and your best bet is to try and find an old roller and cannibalise the bits you need.

I have a few 03's in different guises, great to tinker with and as was said, twin motors can be fitted to make it a total monster.

You cant just swap the gearboxes as the ta03f rear gearbox if put on the front has a thicker plastic part around the roll bar holder slot that rubs like mad against the belt. You can however shave that bit down or cut it off. But the best bet would be to use a ta03r front gearbox and then choose your damper mount type ( low type, or standard )

But if you do turn the ta03f into a rear based motor ta03r, i suggest sticking with the ta03f tub as it gives very stable handling especially at high speed. I was never a fan of the front based battery position of the ta03r tub.

Worth noting instead of selling you my ta03r-s, i have a alot of spare front gearboxs from a ta03r if you would be more interested in one of them. Saves buying a whole chassis. ?

James

James, you sure about that?? I've swapped a few around with no issues, been a few years since I did it I'll admit. I'm going to have to go and check now.

Yup def sure. You have to swap the 16t pulleys and put on the smaller 15t pulleys for the belt to go over the rear based motor, at the front the belt runs alot closer to the stabiliser holder and with the ta03f rear gearbox that part is thicker and it rubs. Okay its possible to shave a bit of plastic off for it to work. You would be better of using 2 motor gearboxes and chopping the front one smaller.

James

:

Yeah you are right. Just looked on my 03f drifter. Dunno how I did my last one then. If was about eight years ago and I struggle remembering what I did ten minutes ago.

(How many times has my wife asked ' where did this car come from?' and I really cannot remember, lol.)