Klausen

Motor choice for TRF501X

Just got a TRF501X, and want to race it. But I am not sure which motor/esc combo to throw in it. I have a 302 esc and a BZ motor, but guess it might be better to go brushless, as it will run lipos anyway.

What do you guys have in your racers?

Perfect setup would be a good quality 5.5 or 6.5 brushless system imo. I used to run a 5.5r in my trf502 and it handled it with ease. But a 6.5 would be better overall with lipo's.

I have a Speed Passion Reventon R in my DB01R atm and its a brilliant system and can be had for very cheap too.

James

:

In the 4WD “wheeler” class, most run 6.5t brushless motors. No matter what turn you end up with, please please use a sensored motor and ESC. What is your budget? Tekin, Reedy, LRP, Novak, are all popular choices among racers in the US. I have Tekin combos in two of my cars and they have almost too much tuning options you can even do through your mobile phone, but good quality products. In hindsight, you can go total opposite spectrum and get a Hobbyking Trackstar SENSORED combo for about $75 USD which is 1/3 of the price of some of the higher end products and possibly never notice the difference in performance.

If you are building this to be top of the shelf everything, I would probably go with Tekin or Reedy with an LRP ESC. If you are building this just to have fun with and don’t particularly care, you can’t go wrong with the budget route with Trackstar stuff from Hobbyking. Whatever you do, just don’t forget to get sensored!

Have fun!

Thanks for your answers guys. Guess I will try my luck with a Hobbyking combo first. I also have 2 Castle sidewinder combos in my Clod. I may try one of those first, even though they aren't sensored.

Just to note here in the uk on ebay you can get a brand new speed passion reventon r esc and motor combo for around £60. Thats around £100 off the retail price :) comes with a setup box for adjusting almost everything. Might be worth alook.

James

:)

the hobbywing v2.1 120a is still a great esc at a great price for club level ,open mod, racing or in, blinky ,stock mode , the hobbyking clone of it has been great too , not even a blip or glitch after many months of running a 5.5 t , do check if its allowed at your local clubs though as some frown upon such (grey import) devices , if you are setting up for racing in open mod then have a check to see what the club your running at allow , some small clubs have cost restrictions and such like .

have fun.

:)

It looks like the Trackstar stuff is now ROAR approved so that definitely helps establish them at your local clubs. Here you go:

Motor

ESC

Program Box

While you are shopping, why not get a good and strong high speed servo :)

You could probably easily get away with the 80AMP ESC (I have been using 65AMP with a 5.5t motor just fine). It is lighter and has a smaller footprint. I know it isn't rated for a motor that low as the 120 version is, might want to check the footprint of the 120 to make sure it fits. The Hobbywing 120AMP ESCs are really nice, but they are freaking huge!

I run 5.5t in mine and I wish it was 6.5t to be honest. Any motor that low you are going to be much more challenged for traction than you will speed. You will feel much more silly than cool showing up with a motor as low as 5.5t, definitely stick with 6.5t.

Good luck!

Thanks for a great answer. Could make the car rtr for a very decent price, and then I can buy more batts at the same time :)