Sign in to follow this  
Plopes

SRB Universal Joints

Hi Everyone,

Are the rere Scorcher, Champ and Fighting buggy universal joints make from steel like the original Super Champ or just chrome plated brass?

Are they worth replacing with the original Super Champ steel UJ's?

Paulo.

The original Sand Scorcher and Rough Rider universals were made of brass.

The original Super Champ universals were made of hardened green steel. The hardness made them last a long time. My Super Champ from 1984 is still using the original universals. They are quite worn now but still work.

The re-re Sand Scorcher and Buggy Champ and Fighting Buggy universals are all made out of some other metal, like chrome plated brass as you said. I'm not sure exactly what metal they are made from. I have not run mine enough to know how long it takes to wear them out.

As for your question, I guess it depends on if you think it is worth the cost of an original set of universals. For a more authentic flair and nod to the original, they would look the part, especially for a shelf queen. For a runner I'd probably just keep using the re-re joints and replace them as necessary. But it's your choice.

The original super champ UJ's are near indestructible. The green colour is from a zinc passivation process to slow down the rust. The brass ones are ok, until the grinding paste of oil and dirt gets into and starts working the elongated pin recesses. The bass ones didn't last too long in my 12 turn equipped RR back in the day.