barrryg

Runny primer

Hello all , im afraid as a first time model builder ive had a bit of a misshap , im currently building a Mercedes benz actros and I have just sprayed on the primer . I thought id done a good job until on closer inspection I seem to have areas with runs in them , gutted doesn't come close to how I feel right now , so is there a simple solution you guys can give me to fix this problem , many thanks

Barry

Give it at least a few days to dry and harden then sand back with wet n dry I'm afraid. If it's run into detail areas like door shut lines etc you may be able to recover these with fine scalpel .

Alternatively you could strip the primer off and start again :(

• Like 1

As Percymon said , cut the primer back after a few days etc . If you are spraying in cold temperatures this can cause runs , and if the paint is not shaken / stirred properly - good luck

Agree with the above advice. I'd add I f you're using spray cans I find giving them a good shake and then standing them in hot water raises the temperature which increases the pressure, especially good when spraying in cold conditions. It'll give you a much finer spray or help you get to the end of the can without spluttering.

yip, block sand it back , a matchbox makes a nice small block and keep it gentle , taking extra care to not sand in ridges (the block helps keep preasure even and well spread) then wet sand with very fine wet or dry , finish with 1200 and 1500 , if you get back to the plastic stop sanding that part , all you want to achieve is to flatten the runs back to the same level as the surrounding paint .

for future reference , get a jug with some hot-ish water and stand the paint in it for 5 minutes , shake for 2-3 minutes then back in water for a minute or two then a quick shake of 30 seconds and spray , dont hold the can too close , around 20+cm from surface to be sprayed , allow time for each 'light' coat to dry , around 5 minutes in a warm room , 20 minutes in a cool room , use long sweeping strokes that extend beyond the work ,

my best tip for painting is tea and cake ! , really ,, get some nice cakes and sit and have a cake and a cuppa between coats .

you have to be portly to drive a big rig , right? :D

take your time and you will get sorted ;)

• Like 1

Let us know how you get on with it , and remember the primer coat is just that - a primer , it doesn't have to be very thick , just a key coat - so light coats are all that are needed , same for finish coats , build them up in light coats, in the warm , and a flat down in between coats if needed ;)

Thankyou for the advice all , im afraid it looks like was was too eager to get it done without doing the research first , hopfully after a couple of days ill go and look at it properly and pray it isn't too bad , its a pity I don't know anyone who would do the painting for me as I would had never touched it myself , oh well you live and learn as they say.

Its a tribute truck to my late father so it has to be right.

Barry

Just an update for you , I went and looked at my handy work now its dry and to my surprise it all seems to have dried ik , there may be one area on the drivers door that needs sorting , apart from that im very happy and id like to thank you all for your help.

• Like 1

I thought that might happen as primer paint will level out to a certain extent , but still flat it off all over before spraying any other coats - :)

Glad you have managed to save the job Barry . As said always pre warm you spray cans . I have found Halfords hard plastic primer to be excellent on tamiya hard plastics BTW .

Thanks for your response bromvw , I used Halfords primer for plastic so it looks like I made a good choice . ive noticed some areas don't quite have complete coverage and you can slightly see some white showing through but I don't think that will be a concern .

Now all I have to do is put on the main coat , do you or anyone have any ideas on how I should do this and how many coats etc?many thanks

Barry

Barry a good quality finish is down to one thing PATIENCE . Very light coats allowing them to dry completely between coats . I would allow at least 1/2 hour in a warm and dry area . Your final coat is best done when the one before is semi dry though . Then give it a few days to fully cure . At this stage you can wet sand any imperfections before giving it a couple of light coats of clear .

Just take your time and you will get a good finish