Sign in to follow this  
uk-dave

Clodbuster motor upgrade question

Hi,

I recently bought a Tamiya Clodbuster and I have to say I am quite impressed with it - it bombs over the heath land and through the woods by my house quite nicely bouncing up and down. A couple of my friends however decided to get buggies and on road my clodbuster is left behind in the dust. This is hardly surprising though considering the size and weight of the clod compared to 1:10 buggies!

After getting sick of the stock MSC I upgraded to the Apex Twin Motor Speed Controller which I orderd from RC Mart. This solved my problems of the speed controller getting dirty and cutting out, plus all the other annoyances associated with an MSC, etc.

I have now started thinking I would also like to upgrade the motors so my clod can run faster on road but still drive well over rough ground. I know I should probably have looked at getting the ESC and motors together, but unfortunatly it didn't happen that way.

I posted this message on a newsgroup (rec.models.rc.land) recently and I got a reply recommending these forums as well as the Kyosho Mag Mayhems (23-turn) or a combination of the Trinity Speed-Gems (17-turn) and a Novak Super Rooster or Super DutyXR ESC.

The ESC I already have says it can run two 19 turn motors so the mag-mayhems look like a good choice, but how much of a speed increase can I expect to get from running with the stock motors? Would I be able to keep up with a four-wheel drive buggy running a stock 540 motor? Alternatlvely, are there any others motors you would recommend?

Once other thing, I've been trying to hunt down places to buy the Mag Mayhems or the Speed-Gems and cant seem to find much on the net. Can anyone recommend an good sites to get motors from off the internet? I'm not bothered about getting stuff from abroad (I'm in the uK) as all my stuff so far has come from StellaModels and RC Mart in Hong Kong.

I hope you can help me here.

Many thanks.

- David

http://www2.uk-dave.com/gallery/clodbuster

I say go for 19 turn modifieds and try 7 cell batteries

in order to keep up with buggies your pressing your wallet though it can be done.

what chassis, the stock one?

A current aftermarket chassis and 4 link suspension is much lighter and much better handling.

Adding cells is the best, and easiest way to double your speed. Even the stock 540's on 10 cells will be fast. Traxxas or Novak make a 14.4 volt dual battery ESC that will power you to much faster speeds. (both made by novak)

Mag mayhems are ok, and faster than the 540's but a trinity mod motor will whip them.

Cheapest way, keep your stock motors and get a 14.4 volt ESC and don't hit anything. [:)]

Hi, thanks for the reply. I guess you said what I was expecting - that the 19-turn trinity's will be faster. Guess I'll have to save up then. Someone else suggested the Novak Super Rooster or the Novak Super Duty XR ESCs if I were to go for the trinity's.

Btw - yes I am running the stock chassis with the 8 dampers.

The ESC im running at the moment has a 2nd battery connector so I could run it at 14v. How will the stock motors cope with 14v then? Is there any risk of damaging running them at that?

use 19 turn venom fireball modified motors there very fast and about £13.oo each and there alot better than kyosho motors that people recomend and they should easily handle 14.4v but running any motors on twice the std power will cause the brushs to wearout alot faster than a single battery

Unfortunately for motors is valid like for most stuff, the more you pay the better it is [V] Personally wouldn't recommend less then 20 quid motors as they may be quite fast (due to their low turns) but have very low efficiency, alot of heat, wear and battery consumption. I was also buying cheap motors till I tried a just double expensive one (around 30P) and there are worlds between them. If you want a fast motor, I would rather get a good 19-23 "stock" motor from Reedy, GM and others, fast but also efficient and torquey.

Cheers

Be careful not to put too much juice (14.4V) through your stock motors as I am convinced that is what is causing by batteries to overheat. Either that or I have already burnt the brushes out its causing a short circuit somewhere.

I have to say for £13 the Venom Fireball motors are really good, obviously not as good as more expensive motors but for money they cant be beaten. I have a pair of 19 turn motors in my Wild Dagger and find them great, they dont build up massive amounts of heat (if motors are getting massively hot I would examine the gearing before i think it will be poor motors)

Last weekend I ordered two 17-turn Trinity Speed Gems and a new ESC to run them. Hopefully they should turn up some time next week.

I just watched your video Martin - looks a bit faster and more powerful than mine! I want my motors now, not next week!!

Im fairly new to all this so I don't know much about all the clod upgrades, so I'm jsut wondering what chassis/body you've got on yours? I'm still running all the stock stuff at the moment. I'ts survived everything i've put it through so far with just a few scratches on the body from where its rolled over and flipped.

You could free up some friction spots with bearings. I am sure you thought of this but it makes a huge difference I find and it is alot cheaper than other things and it seemed like the idea would fit here. Cheezy but true.

Yeah, when I originally ordered my clod a friend recommended getting some proper ball racers for it which I did.

Just out of interest, once my new motors and ESC arrive what else would people recommend upgrading next? Everything else is still stock at the moment.

- David

http://www2.uk-dave.com/gallery/clodbuster

Hi uK-Dave

I am in the same boat as you my Clod is too slow.

Can you let me know the difference when you put the new motors in.

Also guys how do you go about getting a 10cel battery and make it fit etc?

Oh and one last thing I got more speed out of my clod when I first got it by putting a 3300 Battery in it. So you may want to go that route as well.

Together we can squeeze the speed out of a clod :)

At long last my 17-turn Trinity Speed Gems finally arrived from America - only took 4 weeks!!!. I spent last night fitting them to my truck and from a brief run around the car park at work it certanlly seems faster. Next weekend I'll compare it against both my brother's and sister's buggies which are both still running the stock 540 motors. Hopefully they it'll stand a much better chance of being able to keep up. I'll also ahve to find some nice rough ground to see what the torque is like as well :-)

- David