Scapelnz

1988 Avante questions

I'm about to tackle an original avante restore and have a few questions:

Are the re re wheels the same as the original? And are the cam locks the same?

Also I have been searching pictures etc and I've noticed some avante's have what looks to be astute wheels?

I'm going to need a new shell and decals, is the re re shell the same as the original and decals? Or are there differences?

Thanks in advance :-)

• Like 1

All those parts you asked about are directly interchangeable. They are not "exactly" the same, but they are formed on the same molds. The body doesn't have the pre-punched holes, and does include overstpray film. decals are similar to the 1988 version, but of course the sponsor stickers are different. If you are trying to pass them off as 1988 versions, you will be found out. If you just want a nice car for your collection, then they should do nicely.

As for the "Astute" wheels you mentioned.... They are actually Vanquish or Egress wheels. The white ones were originally offered as a light-weight hop-up option wheel for the Avante. The narrow front also helped reduce the Avante's tendency to oversteer. The white wheels then became standard equipment for the Vanquish when it was released. Soon after the black version came out as standard equipment on the Egress. The astute has 2WD version of the Egress front wheels (with bearings instead of a 12mm hex).

• Like 1

Only other thing to say, aside from 94eg!'s good info, is that if you're restoring your Avante and you feel you will enjoy extra satisfaction from having it be all-original - then use original parts.

If you don't really care one way or another, and just want something that "looks vintage", there are always cheap options with reissue and repro stuff. The choice is yours, and it all depends on what will satisfy you the most. When it comes to originality, there are no short cuts - either you use original parts, or the car will not be original.

If you think you might want to sell it one day, the ability to say it is "100% original" will also be a selling point.

The resto all depends on you, whether you want it 100% with original parts or not. if you are aiming for running then re-re parts will 100% work. For display, you can use original parts as nothing better than it ;)

Question about compatibility; I need D1,D2 parts for my vintage Avante runner, can I use the re-release parts?

Appears so but wanted to see if anyone had confirmation.

Thanks

Ron

Thanks for the reply guys, I won't be running her so I am aiming for original parts, I can feel my wallet getting lighter already!