Sign in to follow this  
whahooo

Help to identify a ?Tamiya? C.P.R.

Not like any Tamiya C.P.R. That I know, but I don't know them all.

Looking at the motor connector, it seems to be for a 1:10. It's too big for a Tamtech.

HSP at one stage was selling their (TL01 copy) RTR kits with an ESC/Receiver combo, so perhaps that's what it is..?

Thanks a lot!

I assume it`s not a Tamiya C.P.R. unit, so i won`t get it, although ist very cheap (€ 13,-).

Anyways, i read that the Tamiya C.P.R. units are not the best ESCs to get because they handle a little bit "odd or bad".

(In the past i thought that the C.P.R. units are a a superb ESC+receiver Combo and they can handle Motors like the Technigold)

I believe this has been discussed before and the consensus is that the C.P.R. wasn't that good an idea in practice.

• Supposedly, there are more interference issues with the ESC being that close to an old fashioned AM receiver.
  • The C.P.R. units are very big, so placement might not be that easy.
  • A C.P.R. locks you into one ESC and receiver; you can't mix and match to get your favorite.
  • Finally if either part of the unit breaks, you need to replace the whole thing, at a higher cost.

There have been other manufacturers dabbling in similar solutions. Most recently I see that Sanwa/Airtronics have a combined unit in the Super Vortex Plus. I guess this makes more sense these days with 2.4GHz receivers that are much less affected by electronic noise. Of course it does lock you even more in than before since each 2.4GHz technology is specific to one vendor.

Having run multiple CPR units, I can say this. They were great.......at the time.

Back in the late 80's & even throughout the 90's they offered many advantages

- high current handling (up to 160amps)

- reverse (rare)

- small size (relative to comparable ESC/receiver of the day)

- 80's & 90's Tamiyas were designed to fit them

- ease of setup (there is none)

- smooth operation

And like anything there were also drawback

- auto braking (my biggest issue)

- 27mhz AM has only 6 channel options

As one would expect, most of the CPR's performance marks were eclipsed as time went on. Conventional ESCs got smaller, lighter, smoother, also included reverse, etc. Also had multi-speed-step reverse. The CPR is still a fantastic period-correct unit. Even on a runner. Probably the best option for a clean install. A little extra throttle trim foward to keep neutral position moving the model at bare-minimum speed cures the auto-braking problem.

I've never had interference issues with my CPR units. They are all glitch free. They work perfectly with all Futaba 27mhz transmitters (cause they were made by Futaba).

BTW: One major reason the CPR is so small relative to other units is because it only contains one BEC circuit. Conventional ESC/Receiver combos will each contain a separate BEC unit which wastes a lot of space. Today really small receivers don't contain a BEC unit (like Futaba R152JE), but the ones that do are still very larger (like R162JE).

$(KGrHqZ,!qYFIOK-R0LRBSEZQ(R-c!~~60_35.J

futaba_r162je_receiver.jpg

• Like 1