Wandy

Willy's Wheeler Re-Release #58611

Indeed it will! What scale would you say it is? I know Willy's rides are usually 1/12, but this looks bigger.

Indeed it will! What scale would you say it is? I know Willy's rides are usually 1/12, but this looks bigger.

It's using the body from the original. So it's 1/10.

Good stuff! It might make its way into my fleet then. All my other cars are 1/10 scale, and I wouldn't want to make Willy feel inadequate about his size.

Uh oh that's gone cost me, and I hope the tires will fit the original. So cool now I can create the full racing team.

It's using the body from the original. So it's 1/10.

You are of course right. According to Tamiya, the Willy's Wheeler is 1/10 scale. But for fun, I just measured a Willy's Wheeler body and compared to the dimensions of the real City Turbo II "Bulldog":

length: 3420mm vs. 327mm => 1/10.5 scale

wheelbase: 2220mm vs. 190mm => 11.7 scale

Didn't measure height as the stance of the model makes this dimension irrelevant against the height of the real City anyway. Also, as I couldn't find the width of the real City Turbo Mugen (which the Willy's Wheeler really depicts), which is wider than the Turbo and Turbo II, I can't tell the "width scale", but I guess it a larger scale than 1/10, rather around 1/8-9.

FOR SUCH A RE-RELEASE I WILL PAY ALL OF MY DOLLARS

... Sorry about breaking the caps rule; this is exciting stuff! Really looking forward to adding some wheels and tires if they become available, but would be happy for a kit... or two!

• Like 2

Hobby shop orders at the ready, I am guessing this will be a small release and gone fast. I think I will put two in the loft for future builds :-)

It's a 58*** kit number which usually means a regular release rather than a limited edition. But I guess the first few to hit the shops will disappear very fast. I hope they make the body set, wheels and tyres available as spares too.

• Like 2

Been thinking of a wheeler for a while, was going to get a lunchbox, never thought I'd see this released .... Love the body it's just plain crazy! Think I've just added another to my list. Hope the wife dosent read this.

Chris

I'm happy but I can't help wonder about the chassis choice. Obviously there's the WW2 connection but it will make the car about as top heavy as possible. For a car that isn't designed to wheelie that's very bad news for your bodyshell!

Saying that I'm thinking the VW camper shell on those wheels would be a much better match!

• Like 1

...For a car that isn't designed to wheelie that's very bad news for your bodyshell!

And, to make it worse, they've put a wheelie bar on the back - The mad fools ;)

tamiyablob1.jpg

I'm happy but I can't help wonder about the chassis choice. Obviously there's the WW2 connection but it will make the car about as top heavy as possible. For a car that isn't designed to wheelie that's very bad news for your bodyshell!

Given that a few excellent Willy's Wheeler conversions have been done to WR-02s, this may be Tamiya's official response.

Besides, would you have rather seen it on a DT-02? :P

Oops, I stand corrected :) Didn't think it wheelied. That makes more sense then.

Awesome news on the Willys wheeler even comes with the original advan wheels/tires.. I can finally get a spare set for the other WW with cracked tires.. :)

• Like 1

Anybody noticed the discbrakes on the front wheels? That looks like Mr T did zero modifications to the original ones :)

tamiya-58611-2.jpg