Sign in to follow this  
steelo

Just finished M-05 mini

Hi everyone, I just finished my M-05 and so far LOVE it...it is just a blast to drive. I am having some issues though with rear traction. The rear end seems to slide all over when I COAST into a sharp turn with no motor power regardless of which direction I turn. Under power, the rear tires seem to grip okay...does anybody have any idea how to remedy this? I have tried adjusting preload on the front and rear shocks with no luck. The only other solution I can think of is adding weight to the rear (which I really don't want to do) I have checked to make sure the shocks are equal in length and the wheels seem to all be evenly making contact with the ground, front toe out/rear toe in is set per manual.

I will also give you a list of upgrades I currently have - Full ball bearings, kit tires on front (they are now bald), M grip tires rear, 3Racing shocks, hi torque servo saver, aluminum steering posts, aluminum steering link, 13.5T Neewer brushless motor.

Here is my M-05 build, I was originally going to have a 'build off' with my friend over the winter (he is building a M-06) but was having so much fun, I finished it in a weekend =) Have to be careful not to break the car before the race this spring =)

Here is a list of the 'hop-ups' for it so far =)

5000Mah Onyx battery

Full ball bearings

Neewer 13.5T brushless motor

Aluminum steering post

Aluminum steering link

3Racing shocks

Hi torque servo saver

Will have M-Grip tires on front/S-Grip rear (trying to wear out my kit tires first)

post-43462-0-40980600-1413912399_thumb.j

That tyre combo you are aiming for will probably help the issue. Its a handling charactistic of FWD.

I have tried adjusting preload on the front and rear shocks with no luck.

"Preload" is just a ride height setting. You should try different springs front and rear, as well as the tires Butler mentioned.

hi,

try adjusting the front toe , start at parallel then work out to around 3 degree toe out , get some toe in rear uprights , go straight to 3 degree items , they are cheap and readily available , blue springs,' the tamiya items' help stabilise the car , check out Grahoo's site for how to get the very best from m05 http://www.grahoo.com/

, add some tamiya AW silver grease to the diff , it helps keep the car tracking straight during off power turn in and braking as well as acceleration , sweep mini tyres are more consistent than the tamiya tyres and a lot cheaper , they have become the racing standard for the m chassis ,

have fun ;)

Okay, thanks for the help guys! :D

The toe out for the front end is about 1-2 degrees right now...I will try to set it closer to 3 degrees and see if that helps with the turns. Toe out in the front helps the front maintain traction in turns but slows the car down on straights, right?

I have 'softened' the rear shocks (with the adjuster on the shock) and stiffened the front...I hope the rear wheel making more contact with the ground will help with traction.

• Like 1

Okay, thanks for the help guys! :D

The toe out for the front end is about 1-2 degrees right now...I will try to set it closer to 3 degrees and see if that helps with the turns. Toe out in the front helps the front maintain traction in turns but slows the car down on straights, right?

I have 'softened' the rear shocks (with the adjuster on the shock) and stiffened the front...I hope the rear wheel making more contact with the ground will help with traction.

the front toe out may be too much , when you come off power the front wheels toe out due to the slight braking force from the motor , this will cause the car to wander around like you describe , take it back to no toe to calm the car , then add a tiny bit at a time to get the desired aggression , i found the 3 racing springs that come with the dampers are a touch soft , try the 53163 spring set , red or yellow on the rear and blue for the front , dont go too soft on the rear as when you apply throttle the weight shift lifts the inside front wheel and it spins up killing the tyres , as mentioned the most important thing to do is tighten up the diff action with aw grease , and some 3 degree rear toe in uprights,, try the kit springs too on the 3racing dampers , you never know they may be a bit better .

Okay thanks! Im going to try less toe in on front first, then if that doesnt work put on some s grips on rear and harder springs. I really dont want to tear the car apart to lock the diff but I will if nothing else works...

Okay one more question...I looked up the sweep mini tires and am a little confused. I see different variants such as 33 deg,25, 40, etc. Im not sure how to identify what is considered soft or hard. I will be running outdoors in a parking lot...any suggestions? Thanks!

M-05 has lift off oversteer, best thing is to drive around the corner with little throttle. or you can put softer spring / thinner oil in it. on my m-05, i ran blue with 40wt oil in rear, yellow / 50wt oil in front, using #54000 shocks.

bin that rubbish high torque servo saver and go for kimbourgh servo saver (no play)

i ran 6mm in rear, 5mm in front. i run kit diff, no special stuff added. using kit tyres, that car is planted around the bend.

Lower temperature is a softer tyre. The racers normally use 40 front, 28rear or similar.

Feel better that I'm not the only one with oversteer/rear traction issues...I was going crazy checking everything to make sure I followed the instructions correctly. I even measure my shocks 3-4 times to make sure they were all the same length.

I found that as long as I'm giving it a little throttle into the turns, the rear wheels will stick (even make the car bounce like it is biting too hard) but the moment I turn and let go it will inevitably spin out (or at least lose traction). Wondering if it would help to adjust the throttle trim so it's always under some power.

Totally agree about ditching the hi-torque SS, I was reading online that buying it is a MUST so I ordered one but have been sorely disappointed with its performance. Car has a hard time finding straight after a turn like the servo is still not centering.

Overall, I am really impressed with the M05...you have to consider, to scale this car is going 250-300mph! I doubt very many 1:1 cars can corner like these cars do =)

This may sound a bit odd, but I think one of the best handling aids for a M05 is a M04.

If you can master the vicious off-throttle oversteer of the M04, or even come close to mastering it, the M05 will seem so docile and predictable by comparison that you will be able to drive around most handling quirks with very little effort.

I wish I could afford a M-04 right now...so far I've spent close to $300 for the kit and hop ups. My wife says I've exceeded my R/C budget for the year ;-)

I've heard a lot about the sweep tires being more consistent (and cheaper) than the tamiya tires. How do these tires compare to the Tamiya S-Grips and 60D's on the average parking lot surface (with some loose spots)? I am just confused how slicks can have better traction than the standard treaded tires.

Tread improves grip in the wet or on loose ground, but on a hard clean surface, you get grip from contact. And a slick tyre puts more rubber in contact with tarmac than a treaded one, hence more grip.