Sign in to follow this  
Flat_Out

Mardave Beetle bodies from the past?

Can anyone give more info or history on the two bodies pictured? (both pics kindly borrowed from teh interwebs)

VW_CanAm-3.jpg

IMAG0518.jpg

I believe the two are mardave v-dub bodies that are now out of production... maybe?? maybe the unpainted body is an early example of the more refined green and white body? I'm not sure...

I've been looking for examples of both to add to the collection here, but have had trouble finding any history or representations of either anywhere online.

Any insight from fellow TC members as to what I am searching for exactly???

Much thanks for any further info!

I've got a couple examples of the typical V-Dub bodies that came with the kit most are familiar with, as seen below. It's the two above I'm looking for more info on.

DSCF2465.jpg

:P

I made the pattern for the first one when I was still at school, it was made to fit an extended Mardave ministock chassis, the wide arches at the rear were to take a 6 cell racing pack sideways, I sold it to a company called MMD - Motile Model Development. I believe the original Mardave V-Dub shell was made from this in the late 80's

At the time I was paid £200 for the pattern - not bad for a 15 year old!

Im not sure who was responsible for the second shell you've pictured, it popped up about 10 years ago, the rear spoiler has been removed, my one was always a bit of a pain to mould, the top/rear edge ended up very thin and split easily, and the side skirts have been moulded in - again for a similar reason, the front edges ended up very thin and didn't take impacts well.

I'm slightly intrieged to know where you found a yellow chassis drilled to take Cobra/V10 battery mounts - or did you paint it? ;)

Very cool, bugjammer! Other than the example at the top, I've only seen one other (which was quite used), and neither seller would ship to USA. :(

I've actually been looking for one to put on an RC12e chassis that I have. Though most AE purist will frown at that... Do you have a stash of them tucked away?? ;)

I went out to the garage to take a closer look at the Mardave chassis, and just realized that the body with the pods is just like the first generation Bolink Digger. Did you add the pods to the Digger, or did Bolink take your body and remove the pods? I don't know how I never realized that... the Bolink cars in my garage are on the shelf right about the Mardave cars! I think I might have too many Bugs out there! It's apparent how different the Digger and Mardave bodies are though when looking at them side by side.

Here's a couple of the first generation Digger bodies that I have. These were the versions sold on a Jerobee chassis.

89c88457.jpg

Sadly no side pods for me though.. haha

And I never thought about the battery set up on the yellow chassis. Both of the Mardave V-Dubs I have came from the UK. I guess at some point the chassis was switched out and holes drilled for that style battery mount. Here's a pic of the two side by side-

2ea11222.jpg

Thank you for the info bugjammer! It's nice to talk to the person who created that body. One of these days I'll find one for my collection!

Thanks for the info Handley! I actually picked up a couple of that body style recently from Kamtec. They started popping them out and sent me a couple in addition to the rest of my huge order of VW related stuff from them.

Sadly, I have yet to come across a decent example of the first body posted that someone is willing to post to the USA.

Until then, my newly discovered Dahm's D043 (beetle based body for 1/12 pan chassis) will have to do.