taffer

The end of the fixed rear axle buggy?

With the availability of fixed axle buggies not in question at the moment (Hornet, Grasshopper, Mad Fighter, Mad Bull and Rising Fighter in good supply)

Is the Rising Fighter that launched in 2008, the last new fixed axle release buggy?

Do you think there will ever be another?

A Rising Fighter 2 or similar (I'm not counting other possible rere's like Grasshopper 2 or Super Hornet)?

Although the design might dictate that it should maybe stop new models, its still officially the cheapest(?) tamiya model and I still like it, even with its inherent flaws!

(Just obtained another Rising Fighter!)

I too like the Rising Fighter, as does my wife - it is her favourite runner. The DT01 is my most regular basher, also with a rear motor/axle pod arrangement.

However with even dirt-cheap basic buggies like the DT03 coming with wishbones at the rear, I don't think Tamiya will be returning to the pod for any of their new buggies.

(That is unless they release the DT01 Mad Bull with standard buggy wheels and call it the Grasshopper 3, but then I suppose that would be more of a repackaged re-re than a new buggy...)

The DT-01 chassis has a surprisingly effective rear suspension. Rear stabilizers would help fighting torque twist under acceleration.

The Rising Fighter is somewhat of a DT-01/Grasshopper 2 hybrid. Its application is to grant beginners a budget entry into the German Tamiya Fighter Cup 2014, where it races alongside DT-02/DT-03 cars in the C-1 Rookie class.

The C-2 Master class even permits using the DT-01 alongside of DT-02/DT-03, but not the Rising Fighter.

It's been a while since the Rising Fighter was released (2008) but seems so simple that with just a different coloured body, new stickers, manual and box picture we could get a Rising Fighter 2!

So maybe either sales of Rising Fighter still strong (so why bother) or sales have not dropped enough to 're-invigorate' the market again?

Fixed rear axle isn't just the cheap option. The Vaterra Twin Hammers also has this solid rear axle set up with front double wishbone suspension as does a Tamiya CC01. You can pick up NIB kits for the HB2010 it hits more advanced rear suspension cheaper than a NIB Grasshopper, Hornet or VLB etc

Fixed rear axle isn't just the cheap option. The Vaterra Twin Hammers also has this solid rear axle set up with front double wishbone suspension as does a Tamiya CC01. You can pick up NIB kits for the HB2010 it hits more advanced rear suspension cheaper than a NIB Grasshopper, Hornet or VLB etc

The Rising Fighter (and to some extent Hornet, Grasshopper series) are basically at their full potential straight from the box, add bearings and steel pinions (like most tamiya kits anyway) and in a way your already seeing the best the chassis can offer, a sport tuned or similar for slight more speed, ok but thats it.

Any DT02 model is a better starter buggy, yes but its full potential is only seen when upgrading quite a few parts (and goes really well with a fast brushless!), which equals more cash spent

Tamiya fixed rear axle buggies really are pure nostalgic running, while accepting its flaws, no need for upgrades!

So maybe this is the end.... maybe a GH2 and Super Hornet rere's, maybe not, maybe they will all slowly get discontinued with the Hornet being the last one left...

hmm, this is the second thread today that's making me think I need to drag out my 4-linked Grasshopper and give it a quick redesign. It was only ever made as a proof of concept and to finish something MikeT started, but a high-articulation solid rear axle with independent front should make for a cool 2wd scale truck (even if it doesn't perform very well).

Here's some pics - sadly it doesn't go as well as it looks as the shocks are way too stiff for the (very light) chassis and shell. It either needs some very soft shocks, or a cantilever shock design off a TXT, or lots of weight added into the chassis. Maybe I'll fix it up sometime, tho.

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=68675&sid=15729

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=73573

I believe the red wagon rear suspension set up is totally wrong in my opinion.

This is the reason because the suspension doesn't work.

MAx

• Like 1

Well, the rear gearbox is constrained against rotation about the axle with that top brace, so it could very well work. Just needs some sorting to find out ;)

I never really thought about the Rising Fighter being the last of the solid-axle buggies; the performance gains of those equipped with independent rear suspension (with exception to maybe the SRBs!) have probably seen them drop in favour. However, there is no denying the solidity of that rear axle - there will always be the Lunchbox, right?

In addition, at least solid-axle RC cars will be alive so long as the Clodbuster is around, and Tamiya keeps making awesome monster trucks...

Here's some pics - sadly it doesn't go as well as it looks as the shocks are way too stiff for the (very light) chassis and shell. It either needs some very soft shocks, or a cantilever shock design off a TXT, or lots of weight added into the chassis. Maybe I'll fix it up sometime, tho.

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=68675&sid=15729

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=73573

This is just...wow! :) Thanks for sharing and being honest about performance.

I believe the red wagon rear suspension set up is totally wrong in my opinion.

This is the reason because the suspension doesn't work.

It's not a great design, but it was never intended to be a great performer or win any design awards :)

It started life as an idea by TC member MikeT, who was going to make a sand rail buggy using a Grasshopper chassis with a 4-linked rear gearbox. I bought the project off him to finish, but realised there were a few fundamental design flaws in the prototype and it was never going to work.

I used my ancient Grasshopper gearbox to begin again, you can probably see in the pics that I made a few different cuts experimenting with different ideas to get good articulation without slop or bump steer. The articulation is based around the 4-link setup was popular on TLTs, CC01s etc. at the time, but designed to fit with the existing Grasshopper tub. Also at the time I was still pretty new to custom builds and didn't know anything about suspension other than what I'd seen other people do on TC, so I wasn't working from a good engineering base.

If I go back to it I'll revisit the design from scratch - there are plenty of areas it could be improved if I'm prepared to modify the Grasshopper tub or ditch it altogether in favour of a custom ladder chassis.

This is starting to go away from the original topic so I'll try to resist posting more thoughts / pics :D