Sign in to follow this  
ChaoL

Newbie's MP third shock mod

My RC career is only about 1 month. I recently bought a midnight pumpkin and immediately fell in love with it. After the rear axle spring broke I searched the solution and it seems the third shock mod is dominant and most effective in all solutions. So I decided to make my own.

I chose the third shock as Tamiya Mini Short Shock (50519).

I did not cut a big hole to fit the shock to the metal shaft but use a ball connector so that the rear axle could swing left and right independently like before (semi independently strictly speaking).

After the work, the wheelie lasts longer and the whole car handles better.

Enjoy the RC!

IMG_0830.JPG

post-44556-0-25298900-1432405251_thumb.j

Neatly done. Welcome to the forum!

Now that is sorted, what are you planning next? Further mods, or another model perhaps?

Neatly done. Welcome to the forum!

Now that is sorted, what are you planning next? Further mods, or another model perhaps?

Thanks mate!

I am still a Uni student so the budget is kind of limited. I probably gonna update the shock but also is likely to buy a more expensive bullhead in the future^^. Its good to have a hobby even it might cost some money. And I do enjoy the people's laughing when they saw their dogs are chasing my Midnight Pumpkin :)

I found the best mods are the cva shocks and tyre foam inserts. Also gluing the tyres to the rim as the wheels were spinning inside the tyres when on a grippy surface.

I tried the 5th shock mod on my MP and my sons lunchbox, but wasn't impressed with the handling afterwards, so removed them again. Love these cars so much, even if the shells have been destroyed within a month of building them...!!!

I found the best mods are the cva shocks and tyre foam inserts. Also gluing the tyres to the rim as the wheels were spinning inside the tyres when on a grippy surface.

I tried the 5th shock mod on my MP and my sons lunchbox, but wasn't impressed with the handling afterwards, so removed them again. Love these cars so much, even if the shells have been destroyed within a month of building them...!!!

Indeed, the cva shock would hugely improve the handling, however, like some other guys, I actually quite enjoy the bouncy feeling when I drive the MP. So currently I will keep the stock shock there and will probably upgrade them after the stock ones break :)

I forgot to mention, I did glue the tyre to the rim (without the inserts) because I found several times that my MP could not do wheelie after several runs. Yeah it is because the slippery tyre on the rim. Now it could wheelie like 2-3 seconds after you pull the full throttle.

Another good thing about the third shock is it prevents the motor from hitting the right rear shock spring. Mind this issue as the motor might crack the right rear shock body or dislocate the spring after every crazy wheelie start.