Sign in to follow this  
OzFrog84

Correct steel pinions for DT03

Wanting a pair of steel pinions for my DT 03. Can anyone steer me in the right direction in terms of brand and part number. In my other thread a 0.6 mod pinion is mentioned but the standard part number, from the manual says its a 0.6 mod. I don't understand, please help.

i am trying to find actual module 0.8 pinions too, some 32dp pinions work but are still noisier than tamiya 0.8 items , even the 32dp robinson pinions ,which many members use, dont run quite right , i am most likely going for the maverick brass module 0.8 pinions , they seem like the easiest option that is harder wearing than tamiya aluminium (cottage cheese) items :)

DT-03 pinion gears are the same as for DT-02, since both chassis share the same gearbox.

Metric module 0.8, 17T and 19T. Quality metric steel pinions are available from Carson Modelsport, e.g. at Tamico.de.

EDIT: Being ninja'd by alfagta. ;):ph34r:

Mod 0.8 17T steel: Carson #13407

Mod 0.8 19T steel: Carson #13409

• Like 1

i am trying to find actual module 0.8 pinions too, some 32dp pinions work but are still noisier than tamiya 0.8 items , even the 32dp robinson pinions ,which many members use, dont run quite right , i am most likely going for the maverick brass module 0.8 pinions , they seem like the easiest option that is harder wearing than tamiya aluminium (cottage cheese) items :)

I tried the Maverick 0.8 module brass pinions on my DT02, and found them even noisier than the RW Racing 32dp ones! They seem to be machined slightly oversize, and mesh too tightly with the spur as a result.

• Like 1

I use Carson steel pinions in all of my cars* and I think they run very good. The only issue I had once was a tiny bit of flashing left in the 3.17mm hole from the machining process. This was solved easily by using a round file or cautious drilling.

*apart from the Monster Beetle and Pajero Wheelie due to them having non-standard long brass pinions.

Thanks guys, I take it that Tamiya
don't make them themselves?

Tamiya includes hardened alloy pinions only for a few releases, e.g. TT-02 chassis and some racing chassis, in module 0.6. But the majority is either soft alloy, or brass in rare cases (example above). From what I know is they do not sell steel pinions.

thanks fella's , i have an rw pinion in my hb2010 , it still doesnt run as quiet as the stock alloy pinion , its almost as bad as the traxxas items .

@GregM , i have tried searching for those carson pinions but cant find any in stock anywhere , can i ask where you obtain yours , even google cant find me any ! :o

thanks again guys :)

I get them locally from Tamico.

0.8 17T: http://tamico.de/Motor-Ritzel-17-Zaehne-Modul-08-Stahl

0.8 19T: http://tamico.de/Motor-Ritzel-19-Zaehne-Modul-08-Stahl

The steel pinions come with steel grub screws included.

Shipping to UK is 13,90 Euro, so it may be worth gathering some more parts or kits for a bigger order. Even though their website is in German, you can contact them in English for help:

Contact form: https://tamico.de/kontakt.php

Direct e-mail: shop@tamico.de

Please excuse for the advertising, I'm not related to them other than getting 99% of my kits and spare parts from them. ;)

• Like 1

I get them locally from Tamico.

0.8 17T: http://tamico.de/Motor-Ritzel-17-Zaehne-Modul-08-Stahl

0.8 19T: http://tamico.de/Motor-Ritzel-19-Zaehne-Modul-08-Stahl

The steel pinions come with steel grub screws included.

Shipping to UK is 13,90 Euro, so it may be worth gathering some more parts or kits for a bigger order. Even though their website is in German, you can contact them in English for help:

Contact form: https://tamico.de/kontakt.php

Direct e-mail: shop@tamico.de

Please excuse for the advertising, I'm not related to them other than getting 99% of my kits and spare parts from them. ;)

top man, thankyou ;)

I used 32dp Robson Racing 17T pinion in my DT02 Rough Rider and it's a lot louder than the Tamiya version, can't see any excessive wear though. I think I fitted a Mardave 17T pinion in my HB2010 which is quieter but I can't find them listed now.

I can't quite reach their site at the moment but from googling I conclude Banzai has 17-19T 0.8 mod pinions by Square. Credit to Reilluor, who found the 0.6 version recently :

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Abanzaihobby.com+0.8+pinion&btnG=Zoeken&hl=nl&gbv=1

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74075

I've been a using Traxxas 32dp in my Grasshopper. Gotta say it's rather loud.

But I thought I'd give them a try because the annoying thing with Robinson pinions is that they have a diametrical grub.

Which is 1.6mm instead of 1.5 (only figured it out after I killed a few with a metric hex driver).

Strangely enough the diametrical Traxxas uses a metric scrub.

:blink:

Hi guy's use Robinson racing steel pinions they make them for the tamiyas if you did not already messed up your spur gears from worn or running the wrong pinion gears the Robinson racing ones run silky smooth.

Hi guy's use Robinson racing steel pinions they make them for the tamiyas if you did not already mess up your spur gears from worn or running the wrong pinion gears the Robinson racing ones run silky smooth.

Here is the 17 tooth pinion you need

Robinson Racing 17t RRP0170

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Robinson+Racing+RRP0170&_sop=10&_osacat=0&_from=R40|R40&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=Robinson+Racing+17t+RRP0170&_sacat=0

here is my rover with it installed purrs like a kitten!

• Like 1

Hi I use Robinson Racing steel 17 tooth (RW3200-17) in both my DT-02 & DT-03. I don't think any 32DP is an exact match for Tamiya. I haven't had any issues as of yet.

Steve.

Robinsons are great pinions, I run my 0.6 mod cars with them.

Just remember to get a 1/16" hex driver for the grubs...

Or replace them with metric, possibly with a drop of lock bond.

Matter of fact, a diametrical hex driver is a good thing to have anyway for loosening metric grubs that are mangled.

:)

hi all ,i have just fitted a maverick 0.8 module 19t pinion to my DT-03 , i wasnt holding out much hope after mr crispy reported they are a poor mesh , took the buggy out and it is easily the quietest the dt03 or dt02's have run, even better than the awful aluminium alloy tamiya items , not sure how robust they are , only time will tell but as far as meshing goes they are fantastic , now wondering if our Mr Crispy got one that was packaged wrongly ? temporary_zpsb7ecb788.jpg

:)

Erm... I don't think that was me Alfagta. I've only tried Robson Racing and Mardave pinions in my DT02 chassis :)

I do have a Maverick Scout tranny that's still using it's standard pinion. It shows no signs of wear after a good 2-3 years so they must be harder than the Tamiya jobbies.

Erm... I don't think that was me Alfagta. I've only tried Robson Racing and Mardave pinions in my DT02 chassis :)

I do have a Maverick Scout tranny that's still using it's standard pinion. It shows no signs of wear after a good 2-3 years so they must be harder than the Tamiya jobbies.

sorry mr crispy , could have swore it was you , it was of course XV Pilot :rolleyes::D

I'm looking to order Robinson Racing pinions for my dt03. This thread has mentioned two different part numbers though. Can someone please confirm what part number I need? I will be running either a sport tuned or 13.5 turn Hobbywing brushless system. Thanks.

Hi RW Racing 32dp fit the dt02 and dt03. There are two types for most tooth numbers a 5 mm bore and 3.2mm bore. The 3.2mm bore is the size for 540 type motors.

Steve.

I believe the generic code for the 17tooth pinion gear you are looking for is: RW3200-17. Hope this help.

Steve.

I believe the generic code for the 17tooth pinion gear you are looking for is: RW3200-17. Hope this help.

Steve.