Hey guys,

In a recent thread beefmuffin and I got sidetracked talking about the FlySky radio systems. Specifically the GT3B & GT3C. I mentioned hacking these systems, and a new thread was requested/needed. So here we are.

I have to preface this thread by saying I have not yet hacked my GT3C but have the kit and will becoming so in the next few weeks. I am not associated with, getting any kickbacks from, or in anyway connected with FlySky or Overkill RC. I just wanted to share this with y'all. The hack seems pretty straight forward and most speak highly of their hacked systems.

I love my stock GT3C though I know the one major fault is the power button ( located in the center of the steering wheel) which is prone to failure. It's an easy fix, simply installing a small toggle on the tx.

The GT3B & GT3C share the same firmware so the hack is essentially the same, just a few minor differences to install the hack kit.

Here is the information about the hack, quoted from the thread on rccrawler.com.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html

Losikid:

Post your questions! I enjoy answering them. Any question concerning the gt3b, even if your just curious.

Alright well a genius over on RCTech (psx) developed a new firmware. Now the Flysky GT3B can have 6 channels, 3 pos switches, 4ws mixing, and dual esc mixing. So i developed a kit which will include everything required to install this firmware and any future updates. This kit is can now be ordered here (at overkillrc.com).

I'll be posting up some vids and such hopefully tomorrow of it in action, along with further details how its functionality. As you guys start hacking your GT3B feel free to post up questions if you get stuck.

List of features, updated

i belive this is all the new features the firmware offers in addition to the ones already there.

- ~15 model memory depending how many channels your firmware is

- Sub trims

- More trim value (from 30 to 99)

- copy models

- fixed expo

- Model reset

- Steering speed

- 4WS Mixing

- Dual ESC Mixing

- Dual ESC steering

- Multi Positions Switches (Up to 8 True positions out of a single push button)

- Key Mapping (any key can control any channel in many different ways)

- Calibration Menu

- Key Test Menu

- Backlight on time

- Inactivity Alarm

- Adjustable Low volatge warning

- Adjustable Maximum End Points (Up to 200% i think

- Adjustable dead zone for steering and throttle

- Turn keep beeps on/off

- Adjustable long press delay

The Trim and d/r keys can do this

- nothing, it is possible to assign each button individually as key

- trim of channel 1/2

- dualrate of steering/forward/back

- expo of steering/forward/back

- change channel "n" value in range -100...100

- subtrim of channel "n"

- 4 wheel steering mix -100...100%

- DIG throttle mix -100...100%

- Multi-POsition, switches position up/down

- steering speed turn 1...100%

- steering speed return 1...100%

They Can be setup to act like this

- momentary, hold left/right trim key to get end values,

when nothing pressed, servo is at centre

- no long keys, long press is the same as short press

- autorepeat is on

- long press of one of trim keys will reset to

centre/reset value

- long press of trim key will set to coresponding end value

And they can have an adjustable step rate, oppisite click reset, reversed, etc.

And the Keys (ch 3 button, back button, end button, and the trims if set individually)

- nothing

- switch channel "n" value from one end value to opposite end

value.

- reset value of channel "n" to centre

- switch crab (CRB) no-crab (NOC) for 4 wheel steering

- switch DIG mix between -100 and 100 (more useable when using

return to previous val key setting)

- Multi-POsition, switches position up (at END back to 1.)

- Multi-Position Reset, switches position to first one

Firmware archive: http://www.overkillrc.com/GT3B/GT3B-Firmware/

(End quoted post)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This hack is very useful for crawling, as well as getting the most out of your flysky system. I'm really excited to hack my GT3C, and finish up my wraith. Choosing the FlySky allowed me enough models to have just one tx, and the 3 channel rx are really cheap, so most of my buggies will be modded with lights, yes I do drive then quite a bit at night.

Here's the links y'all may want to read through.

Thread on rccrawler: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html

OverkillRC FlySky hacks: http://www.overkillrc.com/products.htm#!/~/category/id=1230201&offset=0&sort=normal

Hope this is useful.

Cheers

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the Turnigy systems use the same firmware or have the same board. I'll reach out to losikid and see if he knows.

they are worse to open, with the curved side , also easier to brake the tabs

I'm hoping to hack my GT3C this weekend if I can get the time to do it. I don't think they are too hard to open up.

Aaaah a thread on this awesome cheap radio.

I have had my fair share of problems of modifying this radio. My race radio is a Spektrum DX3 R but for my vintage runners I went to the 3GTB. Biggest reason is the cost of the rx's.at $5.00 from Hobby King. I have over 40 runners and taking 3 radio's to the track was getting too much. So after a lot of research I found a guy here in Australia to mod my 3GTB to 62 models, and a few other things like more trim value, Ball bearing steering& etc.

Well after 3 attempts this bloke couldn't do it. I was very disappointed ( another story) . as I bought a new radio for him to mod.

So not long after that I saw a bloke selling a modded 3GTB with all the mods that I wanted . Asking price was $100 + post so I purchased it. A bargain as the 3GTB cost him $50 and then his time. He only did 2 for E Bay as it was not worth it with his time.

Well It's just brilliant with 62 model memory. I just use a number system . What nu is on my runner I select on the radio. The Trim value was changed from 30 to 99. Different colour back light to see in day light. A heap of other mods as well but it really suits me for all of my vintage runners. This has been the best purchase I have done and was lucky with this buy.

All in all a great budget radio & even better with some mods.

I now have 2 of these in their box that couldn't be hacked. Doooooh!!!!!

Cheers

Mark

62 model memory huh??

I'm gonna have to ask losikid if he can up the number of models on a version of the new firmware. My collection keeps growing, and I don't wanna buy more Transmitters.

Yep.

Same.

I'm up to model 42 now & don't have any more runners planed at this stage. I was told 62 is max on the 3GTB. .