Sign in to follow this  
salvine

Which TA02 alum bits?

Since Tamiya never made any carbon arms for these chassis I'm looking to remove some of the flex in the suspension and the stock arms sure move around a bit. Looks like GPM parts are still available. What are the best options? I may or may not run this chassis anyway as its a never run FRP kit.

Cross used to make reinforced arms for the TA01. Not sure if they ever make them for TA02 aswell.

Otherwise GPM arms are a very cheap solution. You can get them on ebay for very reasonable prices and they come with lightweight kingpins too.

What Tizer said...

But you can also get most of the slop out with an automotive feeler gauge and some precision shimming :

Grotefoto-BYRCNNH3.jpg

Grotefoto-63QICBEW.jpg

That doesn't help with the flex though.

I do have shims and have added them as needed. Like Tizer mentions, It's the flex in the arms I want to remove. I looked on Asia Tees and they of course have tons of color options for the front arms but just some crazy colors for the rears. I could get just a complete set of blue but I really would like all black or maybe gun metal.

The front arms are worth replacing with alloy, I wouldn't normally recommend replacing arms but the ta02 ones are made of rubber I swear!

I have a set of the cross widening (200mm) arms & uni's etc on one of my ta02's. They can be cut down so you can use them as 190mm wide arms.

I am tempted to take them to a machine shop to get copied actually. Would cost a bomb though!

My bad, didn't realise that kind of flex want meant. Or that it's such an issue with the TA02. :wacko:

Unfortunatey Fortuna Racing (another good source for GPM) only has front arms in blue as well.

I'm thinking Shapeways...

Check the ebayshop called RC Damper, they have lots of GPM in stock for the TA01 and TA02. They just don't use the name GPM, and they take the label off the package before shipping it.. But I've ordered there many times before and its just GPM stuff :)

As they are the hollow, screw together type arms would it be worth filling the spaces with resin or some other glue first? Halfords sell a resin for their fibreglass kits that you can buy separately. I'm just thinking mix it up, fill the gaps, let it harden and screw the arms back together. I'm betting they'd have a lot less flex. Not bad for less than £10.

TA02 are not the screw together type, the ones pictured above are actually DF01....

Ps www.asiatees.com is by far the cheapest way to buy gpm stuff.

TA02 are not the screw together type, the ones pictured above are actually DF01....

Indeed, a one piece would be a bit harder (but not impossible) to use shims on...

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Asiatees. They even had carbon damper mounts in stock so ordered some of those too.

I looked on Asia Tees and they of course have tons of color options for the front arms but just some crazy colors for the rears.

They all turn silver-gunmetallish after a few minutes of caustic soda solution. :)

Interesting. Just some battery acid with baking soda? Never took a chemistry class although I have been researching some DIY anodizing options.

Sodium hydroxide grains for unclogging sinks will take care of the deanodisation...

Be careful with it though and always add the grains to the water (not the other way around).

Grotefoto-MJJP4F6Z.jpg

Makes the toyish silver anodisation on these Yeah Racings look much better for example :

Grotefoto-KAUS6RWB.jpg

Putting on a new colour of choice is also something that can be done at home.

A few basic tools and a good power supply are really all you need :

Grotefoto-DEWONVAQ.jpg

Grotefoto-TFGGBIAU.jpg

B)