JohnyT

Tamiya Neo Scorcher TT-02B Rookie Build

Hello, as those who gave me a warm welcome here will know I've picked this hobby up for the first time about a week ago. I bought a 2nd hand ready to run IS200 and I caught the bug.

Now that my very first self build kit has arrived I thought it would be a good idea to document it from a rookie point of view and give an honest account of the whole process. As titled the kits is Tamiya's Neo Scorcher using the TT-02B Chassis. It comes in a nice box but my god there are a lot of parts in there. It does feel exciting but a little daunting at the same time. I did also order a hand full of hop ups, mainly because my whole life I've been a sucker for anodised blue things. I also have a TT-02D on the way and some of these extras might get swapped between the two as I build them, but not really sure yet. I am of course delving into the unknown.

I've included some start up pictures here: One of the first things I decided to do is put the tyres on the wheels. You'll laugh at this. I actually struggled for 10 minutes trying to get the first tyre on before actually reading the manual. It says to start off on a right angle and twist the tyre into place, of course then it was easy.
So yes of to a flying start, I got a lot of spare time this week and aim to have it done in this time.

neo1.jpg

neo2.jpg

neo3.jpg

• Like 1

Nice...I loved my build and constant upgrade of this kit. Looks like you've gotten a good set up upgrades there already, but maybe a hotter motor too?

• Like 1

Looks like you're off to a good start. One thing I always forget is to take a picture of all the parts before getting on with a build, it's a nice starting reference.

If you ever struggle with tyres and wheels again then a bit of hot water and / or fairy liquid can work wonders.

Not a massive fan of the TT02B but they're a good tool for bashing, be interesting to see how you get on with it.

• Like 1

Yeah had thought about a brushless motor, only because the kit included a brushless ESC. I've looked into it a little bit but seems a bit of a dark art choosing which is best. Also a good idea there with the fairly liquid.

Well since my last post I've already been busy:

First page of the build and four Hop-Up bags open already! It took a little time to make sure I was defiantly using the correct bits over the OEM. After that, what originally seemed a daunting task turned into a joy. Its quite rewarding to see the first component built. I've used the high speed gear and I have a feeling I might need a different pinion, we'll see a bit later.

neo4.jpg

Next up was the two differentials. Found this quite a messy job probably ended up with most of the AW grease on my hands lol. I made sure I had cut off any excess plastic from all the cogs and greased them individually. I found a toothpick to be ideal for making sure I got grease in between each of the teeth.

neo6.jpg

Well turns out either Tamiya aren't providing enough AW grease or I've used a bit too much. Probably the later and my first mistake. I've run out and I still need some for the next page. The differential of my real car takes a litre of oil so my assumption was that these tiny plastic cogs will need as much help as they can get. So I've hit a wall for now. My local model shop is closed on Tuesdays but I may be able to borrow the grease from my TT-02D kit that should be arriving today. Either way next update might not come till tonight / tomorrow morning.

neo7.jpg

The gears only need a very light coating of grease, anything too thick will be introducing unwelcome friction and will soon find itself splattered all over the insides of your gearbox casing anyway. Literally just a smear on the surface is perfect.

You may be able to salvage enough by scavenging some of the excess off.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that your 1:1 car weighs a lot more and produces more power than a Neo Scorcher is designed for, so that car's gears will require lots of grease compared to the small amounts an RC car uses. I do not intend to sound patronizing, but that is how I think of it.

The build looks great so far, though! I had a lot of fun helping my cousin assemble his Neo Scorcher - he was a rookie to RC cars while I had never seen a TT-02B before, so we both enjoyed the experience of constructing one. I hope you do, too! :)

• Like 1

Well I've borrowed some AW grease from the TT-02D kit that arrived today, so on with the build.
I managed to get the motor in place but had to use a 18T pinion with the 68T spur rather than the included 17T. The mounting configuration was easy to understand and had it in with little fuss. The shiny blue heatsink is a nice touch too.
Luckily I noticed one of the instructions I missed previously, when I checked back the differentials were working in opposite directions. I put this right so should now be all good.

One thing that I was just made aware is that I'm missing a servo. It does say on the box that a servo is a separate purchase, any recommendations?

neo8.JPG

For my runners, with lightweight chassis and small-diameter wheels, I have used the HPI-SF10W with great success. It is intended to be a throttle servo for the HPI Savage X 4.6, but produces similar torque to an entry-level servo while also being waterproof.

However, I also waterproof all my runners, so if you intend to run your cars exclusively in dry weather there are better recommendations to be made. I still think that you do not need one that generates a lot of torque, though, as a tip.

Cool thanks for the info guys. I'm going to the model shop later today and I'll see what they got. I'm real keen on getting this built so anything I can pick up locally is gonna keep me up to speed.

Last night I went on a bit of a mission to finish bag B. I found it took a few minutes of thought on my part to make sure I was following the instructions carefully. There were a number of parts coming from different mould panels (don't know correct term) and it was not as much fun as I had hoped actually. Probably more a case of my inexperience at this sort of thing. The end result however was very rewarding and I think you appreciate something more if you've struggled to get it.

Lower arms in things started to get more technical from there:

neo9.JPG

Believe it or not I actually got this bit the wrong way round even after reading the instructions a few times over.

neo11.JPG

The uprights and axels were a bit of a pain to set in place correctly, I could have done with a 3rd hand. The axels don't feel as tight as I think they should be I've triple checked everything is in place. I might Hop this Up in the near future.

neo12.JPG

neo14.JPG

The dampers were a bit of a nightmare and I think by then I was really too tired to have started them but I carried on. I sparingly lubricated the O rings as instructed and was very careful to make sure there was very little overspill as I capped them off. But by the last damper there just wasn't quite enough fluid to fully complete the task. I capped it off any way as there was little else I could do and I'll just have to buy another bottle and complete it later. it still works just as good as the others from an uneducated squeeze but makes a bit of a noise.

neo15.JPG

Nice build thread. You'd be surprised how many times I make things the wrong way around, even after building the same type of chassis loads of times.

• Like 1

Nice ... In my builds I often have a bit the wrong way round in a photo and swap it as I realise next step...

• Like 1

Ok back from the model shop and I've got a shiny new servo and a much larger bottle of damper fluid. I have now redone all four damper and much happier.

So on with the build I have assembled the steering rods, and added a step screw hop up. Another hop up I bought I've found out does not fit the buggy variant of the TT-02. Was only a few pounds so not too worried. A lesson I learned is that if the instructions say use plyers to snap something into place then use them. Not your finger nails, there was blood!

neo17.JPG

Now time for a bit of fun the electrics. All of it pretty much worked together out of the box. I made sure the servo was in neutral position before the next step.

neo18.JPG

Servo ready to be installed. I have seen a servo mount Hop-Up but the one advertised for the TT-02 seems to be a different shape and looks like you would need to buy two. Any one here bought it?

neo19.JPG

Because I opted for the shiny blue heat sink this means the included motor cover will not fit. But I still wanted to mount the switch. I got the dremel out to make alterations. Made a bit of a hash of it I'm afraid. Still fits but looks a bit tatty.

neo21.JPGneo22.JPG