Tommygunn

Shock Oil Recommendation For Tamiya Monster Beetle.

As part of the restoration of my Monster Beetle I need to fill the CVA shocks with damper oil.
I would like to buy some Trackstar oil from Hobbyking, however, I havn't got a clue what to get apart from the fact I reckon I need something in the light to medium weight.

I'll be doing general bashing; grass, dirt, gravel and a few tame bumps and jumps - nothing LST2 standard.

Can you suggest a suitable weight oil for this application.

Cheers,
Tom.

400ish

"Works" for everything 1/10 or 1/12 scale pretty much.

No idea if the Trackstar stuff is any good or not, but if that is all you're buying why not just go to a local hobby store and buy from them? We are talking $5-$10 here.

I just wish someone would make manufactuers stick to one measurement system - cst, cps, wt - all makes it very hard to compare

As for the Monster Beetle - my recollection was that the springs were quite stiff, so damper oil spec wasn't going to make a whole heap of difference. I think i went with 35wt silicon oil in the end, probably a bit thinner than Tamiya soft yellow.

there are conversion charts dotted around the net, but as this example shows even manufacturers using the same units are rather different (compare the scales for sweep and muchmore )..

524064d1259070314-shock-oil-conversion-c

The Asscoiated 'wt' scale starts off in line with sweep cst, but loses correlation fairly early on :rolleyes:

Hello,

the suspension of my "Monster Beetle" ist horribly stiff.

Is it a good idea to cut the Pstons a little bit smaller or put some more holes into the pistons to get more oilflow?

What springs should i use? the original sprins seem to be very hard...

On my Blackfoot i use DT-02 rear oildampers and the work excellent. I use some springs out of my spareparts box, because the DT-02 springs are a little bit soft and the original Blackfoot springs are to hard for my taste.

I'd start with trying out softer springs, before trying out different types of damper oil and pistons. The original springs are rather on the hard side, indeed.

Today i rebuild the dampers, i cut the pistons a little bit smaller and installed softer springs.

Now they are a lot smoother and work better.

Also i took a look into the manual and was wondering about my oilseals...

In the manual I found on tamiyaclub they show rubber oilseals, my dampers instead use plastic zylinders with a rubber o ring as a seal pushed down with a little spring.... ....why the difference? Did the preowner maybe change the dampers?

I also did the little mod with the rubbertubings on the "stabilazer part", I mean that funny little rod that should take the slop out of the fron suspension...... ....but that made the suspension stiffer, so I will mod it back to the original condition as mentioned in the manual.

Thank you for that info!

I think I'll change the shocks for modern CVAs it seems they work perfect with my Blackfoot!

Also I will change that rubbertube front suspension mod, it seems that that mod don't work for me and my beetle.