FLEXUS

TX BATTERY CHARGING

Hi guys

i,ve just found four rechargeable energizer AA 2000mAh 1.2v NiMH batteries but i can not find the charger.

will it be ok to charge these by using the TX charge jack?

my TX is an accoms +is the centre pin, but the charger comes with futaba and JR/spektrum charge leads.

also will the batteries be ok as they are only 1.2v and not 1.5v which im using at the moment.(think the TX requires 6volts)

cheers Karl

Most TX chargers do only slow overnight trickle charging. They often don't have a delta peak cutoff at the TX charging output, so they won't detect if the batteries are full. In consequence, this will lead to overcharge and eventually has the potential to permanently damage the TX batteries.

Keep in mind: Some chargers output 4,8V (4 cells) at the TX charging jack, and others will output 9,6V (8 cells). Also the connector styles may vary as well as the polarity of the inner and outer charging jack pins.

In conclusion, I don't use the TX charger jack of my R/C charger. But I have a seperate fast charger from Varta (Varta "Digital USB charger") that charges 4xAA NiMH using 1A (2xAA or less using 2A) with single cell delta peak cutoff (and for a nice bonus does even charge USB devices).

FYI: Rechargable NiMH and NiCd cells are always 1.2V against the 1.5V per cell of non-rechargable (single use) batteries. This is OK, as your transmitter will work with either type. Only few (not R/C related) battery powered devices will only work with 1.5V cells. Newer advanced NiMH cells like Sanyo's Eneloop cells will hold their charge much longer when not in use than regular NiMH cells, so you might want to use those for your transmitter.

its fine to charge in TX, i do it with Enerloops

(i assume your TX takes 4 AAs, not 8...?)

the old chargers made for nicads usually only do 50mA (15hr charge);

to do a 2000mAh+ you can safely leave it going for 2-3d.

Sometimes i forget & its going for whole week :D

If you're using a charger than pumps 1A+ i wouldn't trust charging in TX.

Contacts aren't good for that, heat is trapped and you'd want peak-detect at that rate.

Just make sure your AAs haven't self-discharged to 0V before you use them though.

0V niMH are usually not worth reviving, you'll need a decent jumpstart to get them above 0V

and they'll selfdischarge a lot quicker than brandnew undamaged cells.

(i assume your TX takes 4 AAs, not 8...?)

hi guys thanks for the reply,s.

yeah my accoms 2.4gHz TX takes 4 AA,s

If you're using a charger than pumps 1A+ i wouldn't trust charging in TX.

Contacts aren't good for that, heat is trapped and you'd want peak-detect at that rate.

I was goin to charge them using my fusion vector NX85 charger.(which has delta peak detect)

available charge rates are 0.5,1.0,2.0,3.5 and 5A.

which rate will be best for my 2000mAH batteries to be charged safely in the TX? :D

the charger comes with the following charge leads.-futaba and JR/spektrum.

cheers again Karl

i would not be comfortable trusting typical chromed contacts + skinny connection wiring to anything more than 1A

better to buy a 4 AA battery box or recycle the cage that powers the RX; LHS usually have tons of leftovers if you haven't got 1

i would not be comfortable trusting typical chromed contacts + skinny connection wiring to anything more than 1A

hi willy

i was thinking of charging them in the TX using the 0.5A charge rate.(2000mAH/500mAH*1.2= 4.8 hour to charge) i think. :lol:

better to buy a 4 AA battery box or recycle the cage that powers the RX; LHS usually have tons of leftovers if you haven't got 1

do you mean the power pack you can use to power the RX if not using the 7.2v?

i do have one of the above and my charger has a lead which fits the switch to the 4AA cradle.(RX plug)

would this be a better option to use than the TX?

cheers Karl

hi guys thanks for the reply,s.

yeah my accoms 2.4gHz TX takes 4 AA,s

I was goin to charge them using my fusion vector NX85 charger.(which has delta peak detect)

available charge rates are 0.5,1.0,2.0,3.5 and 5A.

which rate will be best for my 2000mAH batteries to be charged safely in the TX? :)

the charger comes with the following charge leads.-futaba and JR/spektrum.

cheers again Karl

Hi,

I charge my transmitter batteries (8aa) with the same charger. Works great.

I have a Tamiya to Acoms adapter (easier than removing the tamiya lead each time) however I'm pretty sure the Futuba one is the same.

I put them on at 1000ma. For 4 batteries, I'd use 500ma.

Hi,

I charge my transmitter batteries (8aa) with the same charger. Works great.

I have a Tamiya to Acoms adapter (easier than removing the tamiya lead each time) however I'm pretty sure the Futuba one is the same.

I put them on at 1000ma. For 4 batteries, I'd use 500ma.

alright bugone

thanks for the advice.when my alkaline batteries run out i,ll try the re chargeable batteries in the TX.

cheers Karl