Sign in to follow this  
markbt73

Mardave V12 on the way

I don't know how the idea of one of these little cars burrowed its way into my thoughts, but I've been thinking about one for quite a while now. So yesterday, as a combination gift-to-myself for a bonus at work, and after-the-fact souvenir of our trip to England, I pulled the trigger on one of these: V12 Hot Rod Club Kit.

I haven't had a pan car in quite a while, and not 1/12 scale in even longer, so it should be interesting. I'm guessing it will remind me of the old super-simple BoLink kits, of which I had several.

Photos coming when it gets here... I got the notification that it shipped this morning.

I've got a couple of the Mardave V-Dud Special's that are based on the V12 platform. They're really cool cars. Simple, but fun! I like how they are constructed.

Was a pain to find them, as I believe they were never sold here in the USA, and the beetle kit was discontinued some time ago. I had both of them shipped to me from the UK.

They remind me of the old Bolink cars too. Have fun with it!

Yes, it is sort of the British cousin to the old Bolink cars. That's probably why I like it so much. I had several Bolinks over the years, and plan on getting a couple more (though they're called RJ Speed now).

Assembled and running now, using a Tamiya TEU104BK ESC in place of the scary-looking MSC and a 6.6V LiFe battery. Had a quick blast around the driveway between rainstorms on Sunday. Very quick, doesn't understeer as badly as I expected it to with the straight rear axle. Actually handles quite well. I can already tell tires won't last too long, however. Luckily Kamtec ships fast...

DSCF0648.JPG

Body is trimmed and awaiting paint; will have some photos when it's done. It will be French blue (it's a Peugeot, after all) with the red pinstripes and other minor details from the road-going T16. I'm not going overboard with detailing on this one, as I have a suspicion this car will get driven hard...

these things have been around for years !!! i remember them in rc car magazines back in the 70's , ugly looking old style 'banga ' cars hammering around a circuit .. lol alway wanted one of them !

Here it is, ready to abuse...

DSCF0649.JPG

DSCF0650.JPG

Might be the simplest paint job I ever did. One coat of Pactra Blue Streak and some scraps of sign vinyl, black for the windows and reflective for the lights. I might add a couple little things to it, but not much. Time to go drive!

These might well be a very simple design but they work really well on both clay and tarmac . Some guys at our local 1.1 banga track ( Northhampton ) run these with insane brushless motors on 3s . GREAT fun and cheap too .