ldgasp

CC01 or CR01 Unimog

Wondering what to buy and thoughts. I can either buy a cr01 and leave it stock or a cc01 and do a lot of upgrades for the price of the cr01. What do you think?

I think it all depends on where you are going to run it and what you want from it. That weird cantilevered CR01 is ...... well weird. :) CC-01 is a great base and if you look at this one

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...823&id=5895

I'll say go for a CC01.

But then I look at this one

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...134&id=8854

or this one

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...79&id=22879

ooooo that load box with sides. Yummy stuff.

So what I'm trying to say is decide where and how you want to run it and then make your decision.

Henk :blink:

You'd have to do fair bit of modding to the CC01 to get the same crawling ability as the CR-01, but then you can mod a CR-01 to improve it further too.

IF you don't want serious crawling ability, then i'd be tempted to go with the CC-01, and with the money saved (ca £130) spend that over a period of time on alternative parts, wheels , tyres etc. Half the fun with Tamiya kits is the ability to meddle and improve to suit your needs and tastes.

As good as a stock Cr-01 is, you'd probably end up modding it a bit anyway - most people seem to !

You'd have to do fair bit of modding to the CC01 to get the same crawling ability as the CR-01, but then you can mod a CR-01 to improve it further too.

IF you don't want serious crawling ability, then i'd be tempted to go with the CC-01, and with the money saved (ca £130) spend that over a period of time on alternative parts, wheels , tyres etc. Half the fun with Tamiya kits is the ability to meddle and improve to suit your needs and tastes.

As good as a stock Cr-01 is, you'd probably end up modding it a bit anyway - most people seem to !

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to go with the CC01 kit. Seems more reasonable and I just really want a trail truck. Found one for $139.99 CDN at a shop about 1.5 hours away. I will post pics of my build if you wish.

Don

As a matter of interest guys, is there a list of things you don't like about the CR-01 (besides price)?

As a matter of interest guys, is there a list of things you don't like about the CR-01 (besides price)?

I'd say the cantilever setup seems to be everyones main objection to the design. Second is the planetary gearbox. That's the main gripe I've found in forums and here on TC.

I quite enjoyed the build and having no other crawler to compare it too, I love it. With the wheel weights I added it is actually a very capable out of the box crawler, even with the cantilever setup. I see a lot of shortened CR01 builds and I'd say it looks good that way and with cantis removed, it still gives ample suspension travel and flex.

I see the main problem is that the CR gets compared to the Losi, Axial etc crawlers or custom build rigs which will obviously be a lot better and advanced than Tamiya's first real attempt at building a over engineered crawler.

Henk :blink:

I absolutely love my CR01. It is a great crawler bone stock. If you want a trail truck, the CC01 makes more sense, but the CR01 gives you the best of both worlds. Check out this video I made a while back.

CC-01 / CR-01 really boils down to one thing.

Do you want scale looks, or not.

Well, I bought the cc01 Unimog and assembled it. The paintjob I did tanked really bad. Not what I wanted but it will pass for now. The kit has too many stickers for my liking so I only put on what I wanted. Lights aren't installed yet. I will put up a few pics later'

Don

Like I said. I tanked the paint job. Next time liquid mask.

DSCF1016__Small_.jpg

DSCF1017__Small_.jpg

DSCF1018__Small_.jpg

post-24918-1301176189_thumb.jpg

post-24918-1301176196_thumb.jpg

post-24918-1301176206_thumb.jpg