Sign in to follow this  
Hudson

Old skool Futaba radio gear.......

Can anyone help me here, I've just started a resto on a nice old Fox, cracked her open to find A1 condition Futaba FP-R2GS receiver with servos to match with old 3 pin plugs, 75.710 MHZ crystal in the receiver. I'd love to keep this radio gear but not sure if I can, can I find a transmitter crystal to match? Is this receiver set up to only work on this exact frequency? Do I need a specific Futaba handset to match, the receiver has a red 76 sticker on it with 75.710mhz.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Stephen

To get that radio gear working you can use that old receiver, it was designed to work on the 75Mhz band, which means any Crystal in the 75Mhz range will work. Any vintage 75Mhz Futaba radio will work with that receiver, you just need matching 75Mhz crystals. Just because you have 2 75.710 crystals doesnt they will match, they must be from a matching set (easily available on eBay etc.)

Thanks for that, so just to be clear I need a matching pair of 75Mhz crystals and an old futaba 75Mhz handset and I should be ok??

Yes that is correct, any matching Crystal set that starts with 75.*** will work, must be AM.

That receiver is very old, like late 70s early 80s. I've never played around with those but have plenty of cars using old Futaba gear from the mid 80s to early 90s. So far they all mix and match fine and any vintage Futaba AM radio works with them as long as you stick to the band that is written on the label of the radio and also the receiver. I dont know what frequencies you use in France but here the vintage stuff was either 27Mhz or 75Mhz. You cant use 27Mhz crystals in 75Mhz receivers or radios, nor 75Mhz crystals in 27Mhz receivers and radios. Hope that helps, good luck!

Martin

Thanks Martin, that's all very clear now, I've checked eBay and all (literally all) the available 75Mhz transmitters are in the US so what with transport and duty it's getting a bit pricey. I'm pretty determined to use the existing receiver and servos though so I guess I'll just keep my eyes peeled and wait for a good opportunity. I guess that 75 Mhz just wasn't a frequency used in UK or Europe, there's a lot of 41 Mhz stuff here............

Cheers

Stephen