Sign in to follow this  
JeepnMike

Polycarbonate Shell Masking / Razor / Etc. / Advice Please

Hey gang,

I haven't had to paint a shell as particularly "fine" as I am about to do on a new shell for my AE car in quite a while. The last shell I painted with extreme effort a few years ago took about 20 hours and was ruined in a day. :lol: I am a better driver now and know not to use Tamiya fluorescent PS paints now so I am feeling like doing up another fancy shell that should last a heck of a lot longer. I have two shells that were professionally airbrushed and look awesome so I have my work cut out for me.

My question is mainly about striping and what you guys use to trim your masking for the lines you want. Is there a particular Exacto blade tip that works better than the others? The last time I did this I think I just used what I would call the "normal" pointy tip and with liquid masking it didn't work all that great. This time I am going to use Tamiya masking tape, but I am still curious if you guys would suggest one knife tip over another for fine cutting the masking.

I have been flirting with doing pinstriping on the inside of the shell (black) for color separating stripes, but not sure if that is smart or not. I was thinking of laying the stripe down and painting over it (masked appropriately of course). I think shells look better when there is a stripe separating one color from another, and this was just an idea I was kicking around since painting and masking a clean pinstripe is a major pain in the rear. What do you guys think? I am afraid if I go this route it might shrink or peel, but have never tried it (the pinstriping I have is Parma BTW).

Any advice is surely appreciated!

- Mike

for the cleanest pinstripe, use 1:1 automotive pinstripe on the outside of the shell. It also hides the join line of the two paint colours underneath.

Exacto blades are ok, i use a snap blade OLFA.