Sign in to follow this  
z00ter

Got a tickle to restore a BMX... need ideas for sources ..

Hey guys,

so as per title, i want to restore a BMX. Im giving up drinking and smoking shortly, so i need more to do and keep me "bussy" as such.

loved them as a kid/early teen, but i was robbed for my original pride and joy and broke my second pride and jy back when i was a kid... so the same as my Tamiya infliction, i now want a BMX if only for show, and maybe going down the shops (im still a bit young at 36..na?)

anyway, other then the usual sources, Gmtree/thebay does anyone know of any sites/shops that may be able to help me source the two frames im after to start with.

the first being a Ammaco mongoose.. no not the original mongoose, but to me it was awesome (untill i was robbed by a bigger kid oh how life sucked at 12 lol)

NbHBYoU.jpg

(in case anyone has one knocking about in there shed garage >:} )

the second frame i am after is my second bmx (i had a few but this was my next ride and joy at the age of about 15)

QCXJJdz.jpg

i snapped this ones lower tube in half when landing a jump. thank god it took the brunt... anyway, any help sourcing the above would be grat, or ideas on where be a source for such BMX things :)

thanks again lads.

I'm no expert on BMX but I just recently bought a bike for the Mrs off eBay and whilst looking for it I noticed there was a lot of retro BMX stuff on there. I gather by your pictures that you're 'building' it up from the frame. Are they alloy or chromed?

I found that when I first got into r/c cars (off road) that BMX tracks were great places to run them, so I suppose BMX and R/C go hand in hand.

Keep the picts and details coming, it's all very interesting.

Don't suppose you have a Raleigh Chopper squirrelled away in your shed. :-)

• Like 1

He's too young for Raleigh Chopper, wouldn't understand them - he's more of ET Kuwahara era... :)

Everything's getting re-re'd in pushbike land too :(

• Like 1

ha ha, guess I'm giving my age away with that request. They did do a re re of the Raleigh Chopper but like most re re's, it was dumbed down for safety. No easy wheelying or T bar shifter to hang ya jewels on.

• Like 1

Did you see my thread?

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74585

I am also mucking around with BMX's now, In Australia there is a pretty good forum community with lots of stuff available, and then there is bmxmuseum.com which is full of info.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress. I'm close to purchasing my 3rd project, before I've even started my 2nd lol

• Like 1

ha ha, guess I'm giving my age away with that request. They did do a re re of the Raleigh Chopper but like most re re's, it was dumbed down for safety. No easy wheelying or T bar shifter to hang ya jewels on.

yeah it's been neutered :(

8c7bd707.jpg

you've got one, yeah?

Somehow I find it crazy unstable... haven't got an original to compare to, perhaps alloy frame is too light compared to old steel. Seems to want to wheelie easier too, don't have to sit far back on banana seat.

And as if the watered down re-re in red wasn't bad enough, didja see the later batches in psychedelic paintjobs? Ugh! That's like painting the iconic Hornet in purple & pink I tells ya!!! ...oh wait... :/

• Like 2

Hey mate, yeah I have had a look there I se some bits I will probably buy, but allas, I don't wana start anything until I have a frame :D otherwise you know how it gets, ill end buying everything but never getting round to finding the frame lol

• Like 1

yeah it's been neutered :(

8c7bd707.jpg

you've got one, yeah?

Somehow I find it crazy unstable... haven't got an original to compare to, perhaps alloy frame is too light compared to old steel. Seems to want to wheelie easier too, don't have to sit far back on banana seat.

And as if the watered down re-re in red wasn't bad enough, didja see the later batches in psychedelic paintjobs? Ugh! That's like painting the iconic Hornet in purple & pink I tells ya!!! ...oh wait... :/

Geeze, that looks way too dangerous for you to ride, you better sell it to me so you don't have a nasty accident

• Like 1

Geeze, that looks way too dangerous for you to ride, you better sell it to me so you don't have a nasty accident

since that burst of reliving childhood in the banana saddle... it's now a shelfqueen :P

• Like 1

Oh well then in that case I think you're not allowing it to be used as it should, set it free to cruise the cycleways............sell it to me. :)

Brother in law has a MK1 Burner for sale if you are after that kind of thing

• Like 1