Sign in to follow this  
crossd5

First Tractor Unit Build MAN TGX 6X4

I thought i would share progress of my first tractor unit build. It is mainly stock, apart from having ball race bearings, and the MFCU unit to be fitted.I intend in time to do some more alterations, such as the alloy wheels i have seen on Stella Models which look more in keeping with a European truck, tread plate centre chassis infills, and possibly extra lighting.

post-45052-0-98764500-1442523720_thumb.j

This is my current progress with the chassis rails together Servos in place, and main chassis painting done.

I have also built the suspension units, front steering units, and rear differential units, and fitted them in place.

I will post more pictures as i progress.

David

• Like 1

Nice work, please keep the photos coming..

Did you paint the leaf springs??

Most of my trucks are 10 years old now, and the leaf springs are starting to get some slight surface rust on them.. So my advice would be to paint them now if you plan on keeping the truck for a while..

Very cool, looking forward to seeing your progress! I wish more people would build the tractor truck series, they have to be one of the most fun rc's to build, run and customise! B)

I have a MAN TGX540 and I got my alloys from Stellamodels too, although I bought mine before they started stocking LESU (I am not sure if mine are made from the same company) but they are fantastic quality, and Stella is quite particular about what he sells ;)

Glad you are fitting a multi function unit, are you going with the MFC-03? Bearings and the sound unit are definitely what you want to install as you build, as it is a bit of a drama to strip the truck down and do it again afterwards.

All the best!

Thanks for the kind words, I decided against painting the spring units, as i think the flexing will cause the paint to crack and flake after a fairly short amount of time.

I have got the MFC-01 unit as i brought the radio gear as part of a set from fusion models. Sound isn't so much of an issue to me as i dont know how often I will have it turned on, although having it there will be nice.

I have continued taking pictures, although I need to drop the size of them before uploading. The gearbox is together and in place, rear suspension complete, and a start has been made on the 5th wheel in readiness for further painting over the weekend ( I did not expect this to be quite as fiddly, had to do a bit of spring chasing).

If you are going to fit an MFU after the build, then don't forget to drill some 6mm or 1/4 inch holes through the sides of the chassis cross members so you can pass the lighting wires through them..

As promised earlier, a couple more pictures of progress.

The assembled gearbox, greased and ready to go.

post-45052-0-03632900-1442665125_thumb.j

And with the Gearbox casing attached and dropped into the chassis.

post-45052-0-10918700-1442665129_thumb.j

I have also painted in the straps and the filler cap on the fuel tank, before applying the decal for the controls, and the putting control box into place.

This has now been attached to the chassis along with the assembled battery holder ready for when i start installing the cab floor with the control box. When i get the that stage i will be attempting to see how easy it is to reposition the MFCU unit to keep as much cab interior as possible.

post-45052-0-56906900-1442665134_thumb.j

David

• Like 2

I have a fake wall right behind the rear seats, and the mf unit stands upright behind that. Problem is you can no longer tilt the cab, I now unbolt the metal front tilt frame aswell and lift the cab straight off if I want to get in there. Doesn't bother me though.

I will look into the fake wall option, thankfully i cant see that there would be a great deal of need to access the cab very often once everything is fitted and set up.

and the temptation to have a low loader with a tank on the back is definitely a good one to consider in the future :)

I could do with some advice with my transmitter.

I have a Carson Reflex 6 Transmitter and receiver, early in the build i had it out connected to the mfcu to check the servos worked and it all operated perfectly.I have now come to connect it all up again so i can start checking lights i and installing them, but i ave no response from any servos or the motor, i have tried to reset the receiver several times, and have checked all the wires are in correctly, and in the correct position.

3 hours of playing around and i am no further forward. also does anyone know which position the switches on the back need to be to be normal, rather than reverse, as i caught them and there is nothing to say what is the correct way.

Thanks

David

They should all be in the normal position. Connect the speaker so you can hear it start. The second switch on the control panel should be in the centre position. With an MFC the truck should automatically start when both the MFC and transmitter are switched on.

Also does the carson reciever have a light or anything to prove it is on?

Unfortunatly there is nothing to say what is normal and what isnt for the 4 switches on the back.

I will try rigging the speaker up to it tonight and put that switch in the centre to see if it helps at all

Main functions sorted, i had to use trial and error to get the positions of the servos correct which were all different

I like this so much I am selling my MIB hummer to fund buying one lol

Keeping an eye for more photos :)

Main functions sorted, i had to use trial and error to get the positions of the servos correct which were all different

The truck should kick over and idle if you switched both the mfc and transmitter on, regardless of servo placement.

The biggest headache is to attach all the stickers on the correct wires, and then hiding wires on the truck, once you have the stickers on the correct wires it is just a matter of cross referencing with the manual and plugging them in.

Steering is channel one

throttle is channel two

shift is channel three

Horn/support legs channel four.

On mine its come out:

Steering channel 2

Throttle channel 1

Gearbox channel 4

Support legs channel 3

God knows why, but all workibg perfectly including all the lights, just need to get the speaker rigged amd test that and set the adjusters on the mfu, then the fun starts of trying to package it all

• Like 1

A few more photos of progress now ive had chance to download them.

Fifth Wheel assembly in place, i already have the servo ready for when I purchase a trailer which i intend to have the motorised support legs on, but for now i have put the manual release version on.

IMG_2018_zpsg7uf6ocn.jpg

Battery box and air tanks painted and in place on chassis.

IMG_2019_zpsbat79t4w.jpg

Cab base plate and body colour wings in place ready to start testing the MFU and setting up.

IMG_2021_zpsz083rk7r.jpg

Testing of the lights to make sure everything works as it should before anything is installed.

Ive started to realise this is going to be interesting to fit in the cab.

IMG_2023_zpsilccuhrk.jpg

One of the assembled rear light units in Body colour

IMG_2035_zps6wrpx6i9.jpg

Testing that ive got the lights in the right places.

IMG_2031_zpsiggtvf1n.jpg

And finally, an overview of current progress, i have put the wheels on to lift the chassis of the table so that the weight is not on the wings, so as not to damage them.

IMG_2037_zps80rqtqs8.jpg

Hopefully they are of interest to people

• Like 2

I have been designing myself a 3D printed Rear of Cab Hydraulic oil tank for my truck, at the moment I have uploaded it onto shapeways to check costings, but probably wont download one myself at the moment.

I have attached a screenshot to see if there is any interest from anyone else on the forum.

ROC%20Tank_zpskjzlf8gb.png

On mine its come out:

Steering channel 2

Throttle channel 1

Gearbox channel 4

Support legs channel 3

God knows why, but all workibg perfectly including all the lights, just need to get the speaker rigged amd test that and set the adjusters on the mfu, then the fun starts of trying to package it all

No you are correct. Sorry, 6 month old daughter/teething/lack of sleep/brain on auto pilot :(

Your MAN is coming along nicely, looks great! :)

Thankyou, and to be fair the way you had sugested is the way that it is recommended in all the instructions also.

I have made more progress in terms of more bodywork sections including the main cab being painted up, once i have laquered it all i will post some more photos before further assembly commences.

Sold my hummer and debating a truck/trailer combo for towing the leopard.

The man 18.540 4x2 is on my list (price wise) so I can get the mfu as well.

Where did you get yours?

I got mine from Fusion Hobbies.

I found that they were the cheapest around for both the truck and the radio gear, also when I had to contact them about something they were very helpful and kept me informed.

Thanks for the tip - checked them out but a bit more expensive than my usual place.

Truck is looking good so far!

• Like 1