super gripper

DB02 Racer magazine ebay buy

I bagged this DB02 off ebay with the intention to upgrade it and race test it. I normally race a TRF502x and my 201/502 hybrid so I have oodles of spares all over the place.

now in the past I have slated the DB02, I will not deny that as in it's basic form the DB02 is pants !

So this is an all in how to modify a DB02 to full blown race spec.

starting with pictures of the car how I bought it.

Leonis%201_zpsskiwfbwu.jpg

Leonis%203_zpswicctrvw.jpg

the magazine review

P1010003%203_zps4mxzp7eu.jpg

more to follow ..........

• Like 3

I have lots of good used spares and planned to use them on this car when I bought it.

to save lots of money I will be using mostly spares from my 502. I have bought DB02 specific hop ups such as the slipper clutch

I have fitted used front alloy C hubs and used 501 rear alloy up rights

and used UJ's

P1010001%204_zpsbjl49l7q.jpg

the nasty plastic shocks will be replaced with Aeration dampers

Looking forward to follow this. I build a Leonis earlier this year, but haven't driven it much yet. First impression is fairly good though.

So after rummaging around in all my spares boxes I found all these .....

P1010004%203_zpsv4afiyma.jpg

after shopping at various Hong Kong shops I bought these .....

P1010004%202_zpse2wuicex.jpg

• Like 1

Having put some lovely blue alloy parts on I have built up the front ball diff and put in the uj prop shaft from the trf502x and it doesn't fit, pictures to follow. So I have had to order the DB02 uj prop shaft set.

plus a ball diff rebuild B) pictures and tutorial.

Very interested in this thread Super Gripper. I have so much fun driving my daughters TT-02B that either a DB-02 or a DB-01 RR (maybe RRR) will be my next build to compliment my TRF 201. Subbed.

So this build was supposed to use as many parts as I could from the lots and lots I have for my trf502x, the centre uj's were I thought the same.

yeah right thanks Tamiya ...... so I ended up having to buy this. part number 54404.

P1010012%201_zps8hctuwoz.jpg

for reference the DB02's set seen here's lengths are 78 and 70. ​The trf502x lengths are 90 and 70.

Just opened up the rear ball diff and found this, here is why you do not use ceramic grease on your DB02/trf502x ball diff.

the ceramic grease contaminates the ball diff grease and you will destroy your diff .........

P1010033_zpsgjhcvh0n.jpg

ok, all stripped and cleaned. I am using ceramic balls as I do in all my trf diff's. and only the best ball diff grease will do. Associated stealth diff lube.

P1010036_zpsf49ynkoa.jpg

wow on a roll today......here is the rear end with ball diff in (gears lubricated with ball diff grease so no cross contamination) and showing the universal propeller shaft. Also you can see the alloy rear suspension mount 54441. I have also used the 3.5 degree toe in block as I have tones of them. no toe in on the 501 rear alloy uprights so it is all in the block. the pivot/hinge pins have the metal 5mm suspension balls 50994.

P1010004%205_zpssicxooai.jpg

• Like 1

night shift has stopped me updating this build sooner.......gearboxes are done, carbon fibre shock towers on and the lovely blue Tamiya Aluminium upper arm mounts 54437.

P1010007%202_zpsz3bkhz92.jpg

P1010010%201_zpsdybsw9tm.jpg

Did you run this before you ripped it apart to get a base feel for it?

no, I did not see any point really as in stock form it is pants. And as it will be flying around a proper buggy track at a good rate of knots, without all the hops ups it would just fail straight away.

they are exactly the same as on my 502, they are steel and they do not bend. They are Tamiya turn buckles.

I have been racing a very very long time !

proper race tracks have catch nets and barrier fencing

it was pure sarcasm chap, I know they are not all the right way around and the camber I do not set until the car is on it's wheels.

Like I said, I have been racing a very very long time ..............

no, I did not see any point really as in stock form it is pants.

:lol: is that the technical review?

lol, yes it is !

the kit has plastic shocks, no UJ's, no slipper clutch, no alloy parts and non carbon reinforced plastic parts = '' total pants''

One of the major factors in my purchasing of this car was that all the plastic parts had already been replaced with the carbon fibre reinforced parts.

P1010006%202_zps0thya5od.jpg

these are the standard parts which are for sale.

so we can see here parts 54348,54347,54349, 54345, 54346 and 54350 were on the car when I purchased it.

P1010009%202_zpsyulnmcq7.jpg

the K parts have now been replaced with the alloy hop ups and M & N parts have now been replaced with carbon fibre shock towers.

But base spec DB02 is presumably still miles ahead of a TT02MS for example? Certainly for the everyday bloke with little driving talent (ie. me)?

Love seeing this sort of thing going together and just learning how they function, keep up the pictures!

one of the things that lets every TT02B/MS down is the lack of slipper clutch option. If you are looking for the next step then I would suggest a DB01RR or RRR.

I would never recommend a stock DB02 to anybody.

ok, today I rebuilt the aeration dampers.

P1010010_zpsg2wdj8xm.jpg

new bushings were used and as you can see the dampers are not new.

Associated green slime was used on the O rings.........

P1010011_zpslt8sb627.jpg

What's special about aeration dampers? I've seen they do them for touring cars too. I need nothing more complicated than regular CVAs for what I do, but always curious!