Sign in to follow this  
Vrooom666

Brown screws?

Why tamiya has turned over to brown screws now? they used be silver, then "rainbow" coloured.... now brown screws..

My latest M-05 and DT-03 has brown screws... but my lunchbox few years ago has silver colours..

why the change ?

Good question. I was actually happy to see that olive brown finish screw in my dt03. Reminded me of the ta03 kits I built when I first got into the hobby.

Brown screws are less invasive than silver screws. Rather the car look like a model than a meccano set ;)

Why tamiya has turned over to brown screws now? they used be silver, then "rainbow" coloured.... now brown screws..

My latest M-05 and DT-03 has brown screws... but my lunchbox few years ago has silver colours..

why the change ?

The real truth is that I phoned to Mr. Tamiya pointing out that coloured screws offend my aesthetic feeling.

He agreed with me and he made me happy phoning to the production asking to ALL Tamiya employees to paint the huge stocks of screws with markers.

• Like 2

The real truth is that I phoned to Mr. Tamiya pointing out that coloured screws offend my aesthetic feeling.

He agreed with me and he made me happy phoning to the production asking to ALL Tamiya employees to paint the huge stocks of screws with markers.

Could you ask him to realize the DB01-RRR stickers? But please, markers not hallowed, thanks! ;)

Cost / Batch ratio most probably. Some of the steel screws used in early tamiya were yellow / gold looking type colour. The steel plating process (passivation) contained cadmium and zinc. Cadmium is no longer considered a consumer friendly substance. Modern(?) material processing science has provided alternatives. Its is possible to plate steel, green, brown, black, yellow, etc. The silver looking plated screws are treated / passivated with a clear zinc, not to be confused with hot zinc dipping or galvanising, rather a chemical reaction from solution onto the steel surface. The protective layer is micron thin and if you have run your car at the beach, you will most likly agree the corrosion resistence is low.

• Like 1