Butler

TA04s Rebuild

Been running a my TL01 for a bit now, but wanted something better and that would take square lipos and that I could re use my EVO body on.

TA04 from dyahipfakta fitted the bill. It arrived last night, well packed and in time for a 4 day weekend in the UK.

IMG_0681_zps7053449b.jpg

It's in pretty good used condition, but I have 2 areas that might need attention.

-Some of the screws don't look original and have tired threads.

-The transmission isn't as free as I would expect.

I stripped it down and will clean and rebuild it this weekend. I can repair any bad threads with cottonbud/superglue trick. Regarding the transmission, I can clean the bearing, but to be honest I have never had a belt drive car before, so unsure if it feels normal or not.

Pics and questions for TA04 experts to follow.

Thanks,

• Like 1

the TA04 is well known for a tweaked chassis, which affects front belt tension. Tight belt makes drag.

You'll soon learn to loosen all the top deck screws, tweak the chassis the other way then tighten all screws to hold the desired warp.

Repeat after every hard smack with track walls.

I have a TA04 SS and absolutely love it. I did as many hop ups as I could, and I've got to say, it's never let me down. I don't track my cars, just the usual tarmac bashing and top speed runs. I have a 10.5T brushless set up in mine.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

I wanted something suited for the track. Thanks for your input.

Will be watching this one. I love the TA04. I had an S and converted it into a TRF over several years.

1368649121NIMG_20130510_00525.jpg

and with my fav shell

IMG-20131006-00049.jpg

and i still continue to look for some pieces here and there...

Hope you enjoy it mate it definatly is a completely different and far superior bit of kit when compared to tl01 tt01 etc. I think the alloy hub set for it actually came from ddaeden originally. Glad it's gone to a good home.

Hope you enjoy it mate it definatly is a completely different and far superior bit of kit when compared to tl01 tt01 etc. I think the alloy hub set for it actually came from ddaeden originally. Glad it's gone to a good home.

Yup, it did. :)

So I completed it over the weekend. Uploading the steps I remembered to photograph. Not a patch on some of the rebuild threads on here, but good reference.

Step one. Dismantle. :)

I soaked the bearings in WD40 and put the larger plastics in the dishwasher.

IMG_2637.jpg

The diffs felt good, so I opened one up and it and was clean and nicely greased, so decided they were fine to fit as is.

Got to step 6 before I remember to take another pic.

IMG_2638.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

Already the car feels much better than the M Chassis, TL01, and TA01s I am used too. Very little play in the wishbones.

IMG_2641.jpg

Came with hop up spur and carrier, which I understand is good!

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

When stripping it down I thought a few of the threads felt loose, but I rebuilt it using some of the spare plastics that came with the car and its all gone together well and doesn't feel worn, so pretty happy with that.

I used to Super Mini CVAs off my TL01 for now with M03 springs. I will experiment with different springs and preload.

Steering. Much nicer than the TL01, similar to a TA01, but a lot less play.

IMG_2646.jpg

• Like 1

Finished. Test run tonight.

Need to source a lipo that fits as my one is too long.

I also need a diff casing as the teeth on one mine is badly worn.