Sign in to follow this  
bowtiehorses

What tires for original Blackfoot with Imex wheels

Just purchased a set of Imex wheels for a original Blackfoot (Imex 8515+8516). Trying for a Marui Big Bear style look for this Blackfoot. To use these wheels, do I have any options other than finding a set of vintage Jumbo Dawg tires? I was hoping to find a "modern" tire replacement,rather than using vintage tires.

An idea..

I'd try Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin tires with 2.2 foam racing inserts for racing trucks (RT5, T4 etc).

FYI, The Big Bear wheels are wider (scale wise) than the Imex/Blackfoot wheels. It might be hard to get that wide fat tire look on the Blackfoot with those wheels but you can get close to it I'm sure.

I will say that with the imex jumbo dawg tires and rims my blackfoot was very fun. It looks great also. Be pre warned though, you will need a very high strength steering servo as these tires even with just plastic rims are very much like clodbuster wheels/tires. You can't really turn unless it's moving. You will love the look though. I'm not sure on tire size besides jumbo dawgs. But you may be able to use the slightly bigger wider clodbuster tires also.

Also the Imex jumbo dawgs are much wider but shorter than clod tires. I will say that when they were on my monster beetle they rubbed quite a lot up front. I don't know if a blackfoot body will give much better clearance.