Crash Cramer

Proper color code for Rover Mini kit 58149?

Hello, I did a quick search in the forums and didn't get too far with this search request, so out to the public I go. I did a real close look on the Assembly manual online and found Tamiya stated. PAINT AS YOU WISH on the body color of the Rover Mini on the M01 chassis. If anyone knows the color as represented on the box art, that would be great. It is my opinion that it really resembled more of a Static Model or TS paint code than it did a PS lexan paint color, but I don't know all the color codes for both styles of paint and since I have a Lexan shell here, would like to get pretty close. I would love British Racing green, wouldn't we all, but that isn't really what is shown in the Tamiya promo shots either, soooo, onto looking for the color.

Thanks to all that reply and help me out, now I also have to get the guts to paint it.

Going by the re-release racing version with factory finished body its painted using ps22 = racing green. :)

header_58149.jpg

James

:)

James, I am not sure where the rest of your words went that I got in my email box, but thank you for your input on the possibility that it could be ps17. I will look around for it and see how I think the results might come out. Now to just figure out how in the world the bodies differed as the rear bumper on my m01 chassis seems very much in the way of my later produced Mini body from kit 58211. I know that I didn't get the 3D chrome grill and all, but what else is so different on the bodies?? Perhaps it is simply a matter that I am not using standard M class wheels and tires and since my Kawada wheels are that much lower profile, but more scale in appearence, they might be more the culprits. Trouble is I don't have any proper body mounts for the rear, so I can't do much more than set the body down onto the nubs that have been left by a previous chassis owner.

PS-17 is the Top Force colour - rather metallic and vibrant compared to British Racing Green.

1182871d1396283042-correct-tamiya-color-

This sounds like an ideal opportunity to show off my M03R with Mini body painted in PS17 Metallic Green.

This is the 'Racing' body so hasn't got the moulded bumpers or grille, instead it's all one polycarbonate shell. I painstakingly masked off the areas I wanted to be chrome and painted them with Alclad II chrome paint.

64E909F4-CE5F-4BDA-94D7-6A41537221D5.jpg

F3CF090E-9F14-4A93-B09F-974F542EBFD4.jpg

• Like 2

hi ,

custom colors do a british racing green , http://www.dms-racing.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=2512&virtuemart_category_id=53 , never used it but it might be the closest you will find , there is also a lotus racing green which is often ( mistakenly )called british racing green but is more of a metallic version of british racing green , when looking for a specific shade of a colour i usually mix up my own with pots of tamiya or faskolor polycarb paint and fire it through the airbrush.

good luck ,

:)

Thank you one and all, the photos are great as they help me visualize what is going on there. I must state AGAIN however that I am after the BOX ART green which in my opinion looks DIFFERENT again from the actual Tamiya PROMO photo of the same car. Without spending hours trying to source Tamiya's original Mini source for all measurements and color codes Rover actually used, I have asked you guys and it is starting to seem more and more to me that PS17 will be a great resolution. If one thinks of the year the first M came out, it was just about 5 short years after the Top Force, so that color code would be a good estimate. I can of course remember when Tamiya had all of 12 PS paints for lexan/poly shells, so their lack of all the colors we now enjoy, the year this kit was made and the mere color match in my eyes to the Top Force are all lending themselves to be the fix. As far as the RACING body goes as it has been mentioned, I like that description and now that Tamiya have reproduced the Rally version, one could almost reproduce the result of the original 58149 body with chrome protrusions and the like, just better love those big lights on the front as there is no getting rid of the screw bosses that hold them on and retain the chrome. I really like what you have done on the Alclad paint there, it does show the depth of chrome compared to my body here which was done marvelously by MINCEMEAT, but not with Alclad. I have two cans of Alclad here and it is good to see how it works, did you back that with black or something?? Stefan, aka MINCEMEAT also took extra steps to get the wheel arches done in black and then I had the lovely task of putting all those stringy details on it. I can only say one thing about my blue mini body, absolutely gorgeous and I could never have achieved the results anywhere near that good.

As we type, I have fitted and refitted that Racing body onto my m01 chassis and have found that the ULTRA low profile of the Kawada wheels mixed with the lack of any more than 2 holes left on the rear body mounts is making it more than challenging to visualize the Racing body on top the original chassis. I don't want to cut the bumpers, but it has been a thought I considered, that and removing them altogether, but then nothing is there to support by gravity to brace the rear of the car nicely, so I have left them intact for now. I hope to have some photos uploaded soon into the showroom as I fail miserably at posting photos here for some reason.

My M01 is painted in the PS9 green as that was the only colour close to BRG, plus the box art is a lighter shade than BRG so it fits.