Sign in to follow this  
Gravel Wolf

TT02B Neo Scorcher, some questions

Okay, I'm very new to hobby grade RC but have had a bit of experience with a considerably upgraded grasshopper. While it was fun and went very, very fast I am looking for something that is a bit more stable over rougher terrain and so I have bought a RTR neo scorcher with the intention of doing one or two modifications to make it into something of a 4 wheel drive mad bull (big wheels, higher ground clearance etc) but I have one or two things I'm not sure of.

Firstly, the rear shocks seem very slack. The back end of the car will not rise back up after being pushed down unless multiple spacers are used, whereas the front shocks are fine with just the lower spacers installed (had to use both sets of upper spacers for the back) Could they have been set up wrong when built or are there larger spacers that were meant to be fitted for the rear shocks?

Secondly, would it be advisable to fit a 16t pinion having fitted the larger wheels? The motor fitted is a 540 torque tuned so hopefully will have plenty of power (don't care if its a bit slow) but I don't want it to keep overheating or anything.

I'm also interested if there are longer CVA shocks available that would fit the rear of the TT02B. I did figure out a way to raise the clearance further at the back but it could be considered a bit of a bodge and might lead to unforeseen problems when it comes to running the car.

As a side note, I won't be hitting the dirt with this one until late may as it's supposed to be a birthday present (I picked up a novafox to keep me entertained until then) and I have packed it away now but I can always pick up any extra bits I need for it in the meantime.

Without a picture it is hard to say with certainty, however the rear shocks don't sound like the issue, rather the rear springs sound either too short or too soft. Adding spacers is a perfectly acceptable way of raising your ride height - that is what they are for after all - but there are many alternative springs on the market should you want a spacer-free solution.

As for the gearing, since one of the gripes with the TT-02B is that it is geared too low in stock form, I am confident that you will be able to find a suitable ratio to suit Mad Bull wheels and tyres. I haven't tried them on mine yet, but I would guess 16t wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Well, I was referring to the spring/shock absorber combination when I said "shocks" but yeah either some longer springs or some bigger spacers would be ideal.

I was thinking 16t as the stock gearing is 17 and you can't iirc go lower than 16? I bought a set of disc wheels with 96mm soft tyres on them and they look very nice on the car. I was going to go with mad bull type wheels/tyres but couldn't find 2 sets of rear (hex drive) ones cheap enough.

I took a photo of them on the car, will post here soon.