Sign in to follow this  
bowtiehorses

Vintage Frog frame finish

Looking for opinions on what to do with a original (vintage) Frog frame, still on the trees. This frame has turned brown in spots. I'm wanting to rebuild my vintage Frog, which will be on a shelf 99% of the time. I thought about painting the frame, but not sure how long the paint will stay. I found a company that chromes plastic model parts, and I'm considering this route. Any other ideas?

I am not sure if dye will keep the inconsistencies in colour, but it could work.

Otherwise, a chrome finish would not last that much longer than paintwork. Your choice between the two would really depend on what you prefer, and since it will be on a shelf 99% of the time, I think any issues with paint lasting on the frame are almost nonexistent.

To that end: if something does happen to the frame, it would be easier to touch up paint than chrome.

If you paint the frame with PS paints (for Polycarbonate bodies) it will remain because the paint melts with the plastic.

The finish is semi gloss. If you don't like the job this paint can be used like a primer for normal TS paint.

Max

You can try bleaching the plastic back to its original light grey color using hydrogen peroxide. Try this:

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

You might be lucky to find hair bleaching cream containing hydrogen peroxide, this will also work if you apply it thick to the plastic and seal in a ziplock bag.

- James

You can try bleaching the plastic back to its original light grey color using hydrogen peroxide. Try this:

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

You might be lucky to find hair bleaching cream containing hydrogen peroxide, this will also work if you apply it thick to the plastic and seal in a ziplock bag.

- James

I'm not sure what bleaching will do with something that's supposed to be gray though. Try it on a piece of the sprue first.

I'm not sure what bleaching will do with something that's supposed to be gray though. Try it on a piece of the sprue first.

It should just remove the yellowing and return it to grey. I've seen it used on lots of retro computer and video game equipment including SNES consoles and C64 computers, and it returns them to their original shade of grey. These were made from high impact ABS plastics, which should be very similar to, if not exactly the same stuff as Tamiya kit plastics.

Would be a good idea if you did have a small piece of sprue to test with, or test in a small area.

- J