Sign in to follow this  
30YrsL8r

Hobbyking HK15138 - Any Experiences?

As per the title; does anyone have experience (good or bad) of the Hobbyking HK15138 servos? They are cheap, but are they nasty?

Ive had quite a few of these servo's, fitted in most of my stock tamiya stuff and they work great, and the price, its sooooo cheap, much better than modern acoms rubbish. ive also had some of there metal geared ones too, same goes, amazing price per quality.

Ive had quite a few of these servo's, fitted in most of my stock tamiya stuff and they work great, and the price, its sooooo cheap, much better than modern acoms rubbish. ive also had some of there metal geared ones too, same goes, amazing price per quality.

Thanks for the feedback, TM. On the basis that you've been happy with them, and nobody else has posted a horror story, I'll place my order :)

HK15138 are fantastic... they're best S3003-simile out there,

works smooth & quality hasn't nosedived since early batches

Uses same horns & holes as Futaba.

i usually buy them to pad HK orders up to parcel weight limit,

right now got about a dozen in the supply drawer after last order.

Tempted to build a servo robot... ;)

HK15138 are fantastic...

Phew - saw the reply now I have ordered and thought it might be bad news!

Looks like the "Tamiya Directly Connected Servo Saver NEW 50204" (fleabay item 160782013470) has a few attachment options, but can anyone confirm that it's the right one for the HK15138?

Also, why are servo savers almost as expensive as cheap servos? Is it worth bothering with them?

same spline as Futaba/Tamiya servos (unlike Hitec) so you're covered

15138 has plastic gears which can break on impact... yeah treat them as disposable although

i'd keep dead servos for spares - some get waterdamaged, others bad gears = 1 good servo.

Then gut the remains leaving case & output shaft only, use as placeholder in your shelfers.

for higher torque & heavier duty go the 15288 which has metal gears for a few bux more.

Have used them with & without savers, haven't stripped any gears yet.

They do draw noticeably more power though & run noisier.

sometimes its not a matter of price, more to reduce chances of a DNF or brokendown stuck out in the field

Some great advice, thanks. I will keep it all in mind.

As I've ordered two HK15138 servos and I'm not going to be racing, just bashing, I think I'll give the servo saver a miss and keep the spare servo with me when I run it, just in case.

Hi everyone,

I also have a question, about servos bought from Hobbyking... What servo wheels do they use? Compatible with Futaba, Sanwa, Acoms, not compatible at all? :huh: I need to know this so I know what servo saver(s) I can use.

EDIT: Just noticed the note on the HK15138 servo that it has a Futaba Spline. The rest too then I guess?

15138 & 15288 are same as Futaba, haven't tried the others in std size.

I got smaller servos but no Futaba originals to compare; previously have gone Hitec for micros.

the BlueBirds are Futaba spline too

15138 & 15288 are same as Futaba, haven't tried the others in std size.

I got smaller servos but no Futaba originals to compare; previously have gone Hitec for micros.

the BlueBirds are Futaba spline too

And so are the Turnigy ones, so enough choice there I guess :)