Sign in to follow this  
essexbill

Tamiya lighting kits

Just looking for peoples opinions or experiences of Tamiya lighting kits.

Last time I fitted one it was held in place with the provided double sided tape which did not last very long.

I don't use Tamiya lighting kits anymore as I find them so expensive compared to the others on the market. I now pay 14.99 for the ones that have the indicators, brakes etc and control box etc.

I use tiny sticky cable holders in my shells to hold the wires in place or a glue gun works perfectly.

The TLU01 is incredibly bright but as above, new bulbs etc and the "control unit" are way overpriced.

There are people online offering aftermarket bulbs and the likes of 3Racing and Yeah Racing offer an equivalent bulb set with the correct plug.

The other light units which work off of Y-leads can make putting the shell on the car more fiddly, but they're vastly cheaper. Not as bright, since they run off the BEC circuit, whereas the TLU01 runs off the battery and has a built-in ballast which gives it superior brightness...

That's true, those LED's are very bright and that buzz from the TLU01 unit is annoying. I hope Tamiya will release some warm-white LEDs....

I got one unit in my Bruiser and one in my Wrangler, both fitted with Tamiya double sided tape - no problems so far.

I hope Tamiya will release some warm-white LEDs....

Just about to be released:

54599 Tamiya LED Light (3mm, Halogen White)

54600 Tamiya LED Light (5mm, Halogen White)

• Like 1

Just about to be released:

54599 Tamiya LED Light (3mm, Halogen White)

54600 Tamiya LED Light (5mm, Halogen White)

They will still be over-priced though! UK RRP on one pair of LEDs for these units is around £9.99!

I'm still keen to see what these new ones look like, but I think Hong Kong would see any potential order of mine...

I use a glue gun to holds leds into place (with leds on, to make sure they all point where they should so that the headlights look realistic at night), and tape (either kapton tape or double sided tape _but_ used as single sided) to fix wires on the interior of the shell

If you can get them cheap they are nice (besides the pfieping buzz they makes) can attach loads of LED.

You can find the jst plugs cheap on ebay.

IMG-20110513-00028.jpg

DSC00535.jpg

I think i even did 3 warm white on one connector.

Other options are Axial and 3Racing depending on what you are looking for.

Cross-RC does an inexpensive complete set, 3Racing as well and Axial offers a basic set that works wonders.