Sign in to follow this  
bugone

Brushless Monster Beetle Quick Drive

I got bored waiting for parts to arrive from abroad for the original MB, so I thought I'd move my brushless setup over to the QD.

Unbelievably, it turns out it can take the power far better than the original MB! I can use full throttle, and it stays controllable at full speed!

If you haven't seen my previous posts, this is a Monster Beetle QD, with a full electrics replacement, and a Mad Bull gearbox. The 'proper' battery is housed where the aa's used to be held, and all the electronics were held in the original cavity.

Since the last time I posted, I've added oil shocks all round and a 6.5t / 120amp / 7.2v 5000mah brushless setup.

Its now my every day basher, and a lot of fun to drive! :( Keeping the front wheels does seem to be a bit of a problem. Full power will lift the font at almost any speed. However the extra width of the mad bull gearbox adds a lot of lateral stability. The rear tyres are 'stretched' onto wide 2.2s so they don't loose their shape as much at speed which I think helps with the high speed stability.

However, today I smashed it into my leg at full whack :) , so I'm having to replace another bit!

Here is the new bit, made out of an old pushrod!

Beetle%20QD%20Brushless%20003.jpg

Before

Exposed

Here is the brushless setup installed. Due to the size of the ESC and its fan, I had to mount it outside the original space. You can also see how I've mounted the oil shocks. There was a hole in all four corners under the original QD shock mounts an ideal size for a metric bolt to fit in and create a shock mount.

Beetle%20QD%20Brushless%20011.jpg

I also found a good use for my spare MB under tray. Fits perfectly on the rear as a skid guard, and also holds the body in place (the original mount broke off after a few hard wheelies).

Beetle%20QD%20Brushless%20017.jpg

Beetle%20QD%20Brushless%20015.jpg

So, what do you think? :)