steelo

Nitro equivalent to Tamiya motors

This may be silly, but I'll give it a shot. Based on the peak power output of different Tamiya motors, ie: silver can, supersport tz, sport tuned, etc, what would we the equivalent nitro motor as far as displacement. I know this would be a very very rough estimate but for some reason, I find it interesting to compare. :rolleyes:

Smelly, noisy, unreliable, dirty?,................nope nothing like that in Tamiya motors.

I know what you mean,, RPM, and torque figures are available on most Tamiya motors,

How about searching for some figures on nitro motors and posting them up

The basic RS-540SH silver can is good for about 65 watts of power. I'm looking at the 6527 line of this spec sheet; 6527 is a designation for wire size and number of turns if I remember correctly.

http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-bin/catalog/e_catalog.cgi?CAT_ID=rs_540sh

Cox's 1973 Black Widow .049 ci nitro motor has about the same peak output power -- 60 watts.

(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox_model_engine)

"During the 70s a couple of Cox engineers were playing around with different coloured Babe Bee and Golden Bee parts and came up with an all-black engine with a red spinner. They hopped it up a bit with a dual bypass cylinder from a Super Bee (#1), a black Golden Bee tank and a slightly larger (0.062") venturi intake. The Black Widow was born. These engines were marketed as a High Powered Combat Engine. On later Black Widows the red rubber spinner was replaced by a red anodized aluminum Tee Dee style spinner. In the late 1990s some Black Widows were produced with the a dual bypass slit exhaust cylinder. The slit exhaust was to prevent fires. According to an Aeromodeller engine test done in August 1974 the Black Widow on 25% Nitro output power was 0.08 bhp (60 watts) at 15,000 rpm with a max. torque of 6 oz.in at 9,000 rpm."

Of course the torque and power curves are dramatically different between electric motors and nitro engines, so I wouldn't expect to drop a Cox motor in a Tamiya model and see it accelerate as well. That said, I saw this YouTube video some time ago and thought it was pretty neat. Note he's using an engine larger than .049 (Tamiya FR-15S), so that makes up for some of the weak torque at the low end of the rpm range.

• Like 1

Okay, tell me if I'm looking at this the wrong way...

There are 745.7 watts/hp...

With that said, it appears there really isn't a comparable electric motor.

For example, an O.S .12TG puts out .7hp, which is equivalent to ~521 watts

An O.S. .15LA puts out .4hp, which is about 298 watts.

You can get brushless motors with a fair amount of power output; they just have very low turns. Here's a 540 4.5T Trackstar that has a peak power of 570 watts:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=71372

When you jump to the 1/8 scale size motors the peak power really goes up. Here's a 2100kV motor that can provide 2100 watts peak:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=71380

The characteristics of brushless vs. nitro are very different, though. Brushless has lots of torque at low rpms.

From my experience, brushless 540 motors on 2s lipo work the same as a 12-15 nitro motor ( motor winds tend to cover the different state of tune and nitro content of fuel).

A 550 brushless on 2s lipo takes care of the 21-28 sized motors.

• Like 1

Okay, tell me if I'm looking at this the wrong way...

There are 745.7 watts/hp...

With that said, it appears there really isn't a comparable electric motor.

For example, an O.S .12TG puts out .7hp, which is equivalent to ~521 watts

An O.S. .15LA puts out .4hp, which is about 298 watts.

I've just bought a 2330Watt 6S capable Turnigy brushless motor, which is going in a 1/10 6x6 truck. That's a good 3HP. Does that mean it's the equivalent of a 1:1 power output of 3000hp ? (like scaling up a volume 10x10x10)

• Like 1

massive overkill me thinks :D but should be mucho fun

• Like 1

massive overkill me thinks :D but should be mucho fun

It's a model ship motor :D

It's got to tow 2 trailers 1.6m in length, but I'm still hoping to get hotshot speed from it.