Biz73

motor choice for Midnight Pumpkin

I am thinking about upgrading the motor on my Pumpkin. I'm not worried about top speed, I just want to get better wheelies from it to keep the kids happy. Would the Torque Tuned motor be better for what I'm looking for than the Sport Tuned?

I've got Pro-line foams in the tires, CVA shorts with the stiff springs, and a 5th shock using a Grasshopper rear friction damper. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I would mount a modified motor, a 27 turns or more.

Personally on my Lunchbox will mount a 15 turns brushed or brushless equivalent. It will be a speed demon!

Max

With electric motors, as the number of turns decreases, the revs go up but the torque goes down. So as Max says, going for a lower turn motor would give you a speed demon.

However since you say you aren't fussed about speed but you do want wheelies, I would not want to go low on the turns. Something like a ROAR 27t Stock class motor would give plenty of torque, and consequently great wheelies. This is what I use in my Farm King, and it wheelies very nicely.

Another advantage of such motors is that they are rebuildable, so you can replace the brushes when they wear out and skim the comm when it gets scored, rather than throwing out the whole motor as you would with a Sport Tuned or Torque Tuned, making them cheaper in the long run.

To be honest, for wheelies changing the motor is not the way to go in a Pumpkin/Lunchbox. Stick a 2S LiPo in there and you'll notice a massive difference on just a silver can. I've tried all sorts of combos in my Lunchie and my favourite is a Sport Tuned motor and 2S LiPo.

• Like 2

The Lipos weight half than the other batteries. This is the reason of more wheelies.

Max

• Like 1

The Lipos weight half than the other batteries. This is the reason of more wheelies.

Max

True, but it's also a higher average voltage for longer than with Nickel which also makes a difference.

I feel the most important part of the equation is the speed control. You need one that has a lot of forward amp power.

I used to run my pumpkin with a 15turn and the stock MSC. I put in a Novak xrs esc and the thing could barely wheelie. I realized that ESC just wasn't up to task.

• Like 1

I may just leave it as is. Sounds like those motors won't make much difference.

The main thing everyone says about Lipo's is to keep an eye on them while charging. Due to health issues, I'm on a prescription cocktail, and quite often walk away from something and get distracted. I could walk outside to take out the garbage, and end up helping the neighbor with something for the next hour. I'm in a tiny house with my 2 kids part time, so it's just not worth the risk for me right now.

The kids love the wheelie aspect so I wanted to make them longer, but it's not that big of a deal. I may have to look into a WW, but I would have to get rid of a car first.

Thanks guys, you are an awesome group of junkies :) I'm glad that I found this place...even though I am now broke. Haha

• Like 1

Li-po's are pretty much safe now, stick em in a charging bag and leave them to charge off a decent charger, I use a hard case rounded HPI 2s lipo in my CW-01 chassis and it wheelies for fun.

Just chuck a sport tuned in it. 200g/cm torque for a mabuchi silvercan vs 350g/cm in the sport tuned. The sport tuned also has 18,300rpm compared to the 15,100rpm silvercan. At cheapest they are about $16 each and will work with the stock esc, just plug it in.

That is your best bang for buck. Lipo is also a great candidate (not just the lack of weight compared to a nimh) but like Steve said,the power delivery doesn't drop off like a nimh does, but if you don't want to go lipo, just make sure your nimhs are healthy :)

If you're sticking to NiMhs, don't go much above 3,000Mah otherwise they get really heavy. Also, NiMhs have the most punch straight after charging so let them cool then use straight away.

Have fun!

I bought myself a sport tuned motor for Christmas. If I don't like it in the Pumpkin, I'll put it in another car. What size pinion would be best?

Standard pinion is fine, fitting a Hornet one will lose you the ability to wheelie completely!

I would mount a modified motor, a 27 turns or more.

Personally on my Lunchbox will mount a 15 turns brushed or brushless equivalent. It will be a speed demon!

Max

I've got every conceivable mod on mine and runs with A 19t brushed motor until recently and was a good compromise.

I do run with a 5000 mah nimh which might explain why it doesn't wheelie tho!

Just chuck a sport tuned in it. 200g/cm torque for a mabuchi silvercan vs 350g/cm in the sport tuned. The sport tuned also has 18,300rpm compared to the 15,100rpm silvercan. At cheapest they are about $16 each and will work with the stock esc, just plug it in.

That is your best bang for buck. Lipo is also a great candidate (not just the lack of weight compared to a nimh) but like Steve said,the power delivery doesn't drop off like a nimh does, but if you don't want to go lipo, just make sure your nimhs are healthy :)

I agree, I have the Sport Tuned in my Lunch Box and its plenty of power for such a light chassis and will not stress the gears too much :P

There was a Sports Tuned motor in my WW2 when I bought it, and I was not impressed with its ability to wheel stand at all..

My personal choice would be a TZ or RZ 23 turn motor simply for their torque figures alone..

You could also look at the Tamiya GT Tuned and/or Dirt Tuned motors as well, if the Sports Tuned doesn't perform to expectations..

I got a sport tuned motor, the wires are black & red. It doesn't have any instructions, which one goes to the blue wire on the esc?

Duratrax photon speed 2 twenty turn motor.

cheap $11.99

have them in all 3 of my pumpkin type chassis trucks.