MotorMark

Problem With Tt01-e

I have recently started RC racing on carpet with the above standard kit. I have gradually upgraded the bearings, driveshaft and motor with no problems but I have just replaced the standard tamiya slick tyres (no inserts)with RP24's with foam inserts but I am now having problems cornering. Everything was OK with the tamiya tyres. The car is flipping/rolling over on each corner. Someone said the tyres are too grippy others have said the suspension is too hard or too soft.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry to see you've not had a reply by now from one of the more knowledgable racers on the forum so I'll chip in with the little I know. I would suggest your new tyres are too soft and grippy giving you grip roll on the corners. Are you using any tyre additive on your tyres as that could be making it worse by increasing the grip further. The Tamiya slicks aren't very grippy I've found. I also race a stock TT-01E on carpet and I use Sweep 32 tyres as do many of the other racers with similar cars at the club. Only put additive on them for the first race - nothing after that. I use them because the club sells them - there must be a reason for that!! The stock TT-01 friction damper suspension works pretty well, though it can be improved if you get some oil shocks for the car - not tried it on mine yet but others tell me it improves the handling of the car.

stock TT01 shocks don't generate enough "friction" to do any damping, i'd just call them "spring mounts"

you need oil shocks, preferably go mini CVAs with 2H piston and a fairly thick oil ~50wt

also build the shocks so your car's rideheight is lowered to the minimum allowed eg 5mm

with supersticky tyres, generally the spring rates should be increased, allows higher cornering speed

Proper shocks will reduce the roll at entry corners; less rideheight reduces traction rollovers too.

You want to make the front shocks stiffer. Either place a few spacers on them, or change the springs.

Its worth getting some oil dampers as you have more control on the damping.

You want to check you have about 5mm ground clearance.

Also stabilisers can help, start with medium on the front and soft on the back.

Cheers