chickenman242tk

ta01/02 ball diff tricks

back in the day I had a 58129 Castrol celica and loved it dearly ,now I am slowly rebuilding my Tamiya army and was wondering if anyone had some tips and tricks for the old ball diff and she is a bit too tight and coupled with a torque splitter im having a bit of a hard time not crossing it up .I do remember back in the day there was a mod involving an 1150 bearing or maybe some sort of thrust bearing could some point me in the right direction.

Maybe not exactly what you are asking for, but here are David Jun's TA03 balldiff set-up tips.

Quote:

Differentials

The diffs are one of the most important adjustments of the car, so play close attention whe you build or rebuild them. Assemble the diffs according to the instructions but with these hop-ups:

53219 Aluminum Pressure Plates

53124 3mm Tungsten-Carbide Diff-Ball Set

53217 Hard Joint-Cup Set.

Diff Rings. When you install the diff rings, look at them carefully, and put the round side facing downward so that the sharp-edge side faces the diff balls. The sharp-edge side is a little flatter and will make the differential work a bit more consistently.

Thrust Bearing. I replaced the thrust bearing with a single tamiya 5X11 sealed bearing and two large cone washers. Install the 1150 ball bearing, then the two cone washers ("clamshelled" together) and, finally, the 4mm bolt. When I tighten the diff, I hold it on its side so that gravity will not pull the cone washers or the bearing to one side or the other.

Joint cups. To prevent the joint-cup teeth from stripping, put a little Tamiya liquid thread lock on them.

The problem you are having is caused by the torque splitter not the ball diff. It requires a change in driving style. Use a ta03 ball diff btw, they are much better than the stock ta02 unit.

Are the 01/02 and 03 diffs similar internally? I was thinking of either getting the hop up pressure plates or getting a complete ta03 ball diff.

Would it make a difference putting a ball diff in the front too atm it has the std gear diff

Yes, they are indeed very similar and mostly interchangeable.

The bearing you mentioned is #53136 (included with the TA03 parts).

I've put ceramic diff balls in all of mine. The generic Chinese kind at about 50 cents each. Works great.