Sign in to follow this  
Tizer

Honda Spoon Sports CRX body

A while ago a member of our local Tamiya forum (Tamiyagekken) asked me to paint his new Tamiya CRX bodyshell. He wanted a simple bright colour, but offcourse I wanted to do something a bit more special. After a little brainstorm I settled on the Spoon Sports livery.

It's a very iconic Honda livery, not to hard to paint and on top of that its also a nice and bright colour so its easy to see on the racetrack. Spoon however never made a CRX, so I used their CRZ and NSX livery and combined them on this bodyshell. The masking is cut by hand and the decals I made custom for this bodyshell. :) The colours I used are Tamiya yellow, brilliant blue, white and black PS. All windowtrims are also painted as its simply easier and better looking than fighting with the stupid Tamiya decals.

I didn't add much details as this will be a racing bodyshell and will probably be smashed to bits quickly knowing the owners driving style ;) I did reinforce the bumpers and front wheelwells with shoegoo and nylon mesh so its a bit less prone to cracking/tearing.

Enough talk, time for some pictures!

DSC_66952.jpg

DSC_66972.jpg

DSC_67002.jpg

DSC_66982.jpg

DSC_66992.jpg

DSC_67022.jpg

I hope the owner will like the body. It was a fun project anyway!

• Like 1

Looks great! A famous paint-scheme on a famous car, and well-executed, too.

Awesome work dude. Bet it took a while to mask that one off!

Is that Tamiya paint? Be useful to know for reference, looks like PS-3 & PS-6?

Masking was actually done really quickly. I drew the design on paper, scanned it, cleaned it up in illustrator, printed it 2 times, taped it to the inside of the body, traced the lines with a pen on the outside and masked everything up. From there I could just easily cut all the lines with a scalpel. I've done quite a lot of lexan bodyshells (50+) so these things are just a routine job for me to be honest.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

The paint I used is Tamiya Yellow, Tamiya Brilliant Blue, Tamiya White and Tamiya Black, all PS paints. Its also in the original post.

@Jeek: Its a M04 with flipped gearbox. Check my M04RR build thread (its on page 2 now I think in the builds section)

@Jeek: Its a M04 with flipped gearbox. Check my M04RR build thread (its on page 2 now I think in the builds section)

Oh, gosh I miss it... will check it for sure ;)