Sign in to follow this  
MSM546

30mm Wide Front Wheels?

Just wanted to ask if there is much difference in handling of the trucks when replacing the standard 22mm front wheel with a 30mm one, for example is the turning circle affected, does it drive any differently? And if there's anything else I should look out for?

Thanks

Maybe slightly better turning on the front heavy cab-overs. The 22mm's get quite a bit of tyre roll on the Euros, I bought the Tamiya 22mm hard versions (#56527) and didn't notice much difference, they still roll. I am not sure with the 30mm as they do a hard version too (#56528).

There is also tractor tyres from other manufacturers which might have a stickier compound.

I have fitted 30mm tyres to the steer of two of my trucks, basically because I liked the look of the wider 30mm tyres on the front..

I used the standard Tamiya 30mm wide wheels/rims, but the tyres I used are Xtra Speed brand and they have more of a "bulge" on one side of the tyre than the other (I don't know if the 30mm Tamiya tyres have this feature or not).. If you install them with the bulge facing out, the edge of the tyres can sit outside of the body, and can also cause rubbing issues.. If you install them with the bulge facing inward, they could hit on the springs at full lock if you have done mods to the axle to increase steering lock..

As for differences when driving, I'm afraid that I have not done that much testing to offer any real comment, sorry..

Maybe slightly better turning on the front heavy cab-overs. The 22mm's get quite a bit of tyre roll on the Euros, I bought the Tamiya 22mm hard versions (#56527) and didn't notice much difference, they still roll. I am not sure with the 30mm as they do a hard version too (#56528).

There is also tractor tyres from other manufacturers which might have a stickier compound.

Hmm yeah I've noticed that too about the roll, hopefully a wider tyre would improve that

I have fitted 30mm tyres to the steer of two of my trucks, basically because I liked the look of the wider 30mm tyres on the front..

I used the standard Tamiya 30mm wide wheels/rims, but the tyres I used are Xtra Speed brand and they have more of a "bulge" on one side of the tyre than the other (I don't know if the 30mm Tamiya tyres have this feature or not).. If you install them with the bulge facing out, the edge of the tyres can sit outside of the body, and can also cause rubbing issues.. If you install them with the bulge facing inward, they could hit on the springs at full lock if you have done mods to the axle to increase steering lock..

As for differences when driving, I'm afraid that I have not done that much testing to offer any real comment, sorry..

Yeah i do think the 30mm would suit a euro better tbh. I would probably use the standard tamiya 30mm tyres as they are quite hard, so I doubt they'd bulge under load and that should hopefully avoid the rubbing

Yeah i do think the 30mm would suit a euro better tbh. I would probably use the standard tamiya 30mm tyres as they are quite hard, so I doubt they'd bulge under load and that should hopefully avoid the rubbing

I don't think that you understand..

The 30mm Xtra Speed tyres that I have, have a bulge or belly profile on one side, and a somewhat flat profile that is similar to a regular 22mm tyre on the other side, so depending on which way you mount the tyre on the rim, you can have the bulge facing in or out.. The bulge is moulded in the tyre itself, it is not caused by excessive weight on the vehicle..

I don't think that you understand..

The 30mm Xtra Speed tyres that I have, have a bulge or belly profile on one side, and a somewhat flat profile that is similar to a regular 22mm tyre on the other side, so depending on which way you mount the tyre on the rim, you can have the bulge facing in or out.. The bulge is moulded in the tyre itself, it is not caused by excessive weight on the vehicle..

Ahh okay i see what you're saying! So i suppose that's the case with that brand of tyre as they have the bulge moulded into them, whereas the standard tamiya 30mm tyre shouldn't have this problem?

I think the 56335 Mercedes Actros 1851 Gigaspace comes with 30mm front wheels & tyres as standard in the kit.

And if the actros already comes with the 30mm tyres as standard, they surely shouldn't be a problem, unless there are any chassis changes that were made?